Can anything be done to reverse dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll bet money that anyone that has a possible answer is going to want to know beforehand what you did. And some of us are just plain curious, even if also clueless about the answer.

Reverse it? Well, you can always blend it with another beer, but you will not be able to truely reverse it.

If you dry hopped in a bucket you may be able to fish them out with a strainer if they haven't been in contact with the brew for very long. I notice my hop aroma drops off dramatically after about 3 months with my IPA. Maybe a little time will mellow the effects.

gnippoh yrd

Dry hopping reversed.
No need for thanks, glad i could help.

a long aging period will let the hop flavors diminsh but you might lose other flavors too. maybe you should just taste it and make sure its not good before trying to "fix" it.

I have a solution... keg the beer and ship it to me. PM me for the address.

You have ruined that beer beyond any hope of recovery. You'll have to dispose of it safely. I run an authorized disposal facility for incorrectly hopped beer. Please send it to me. I'm running a special right now. You pay shipping only, and I'll waive my usual fees.

yeah, this is a beer that should be bulk aged, so the cascade may well dissipate altogether. I believe time will heal this in a couple months or so.
If you're really worried about it you could rack to a bucket thru a 5 gal paint strainer, and back to a carboy, but this will increase the risk of infection somewhat. Good luck!

You have ruined that beer beyond any hope of recovery. You'll have to dispose of it safely. I run an authorized disposal facility for incorrectly hopped beer. Please send it to me. I'm running a special right now. You pay shipping only, and I'll waive my usual fees.

Poseur alert...Poseur Alert!!!!! It is an offense to impersonate an AUTHORIZED beer disposal agent...Only to those presenting proper ID should one send their bonehead brewing mistakes...:D

beerinspectorcard_copy.jpg

Besides I'm the only one who would truly appreciate an IMPERIAL MIDAS TOUCH anyway...

I mean it should be fine...I'm sure it's just a manner of time before Dogfish Head will get around to releasing a 60, 90, and 120 minute Midas Touch anyway. You may just be ahead of the clone curve.

You might get away with just racking it into a tertiary and then letting the hop flavor age away anyhow..

(But I would love to have a bottle of your clone someday, brother.)

I talked it over withthe SWMBO, and shes ok if *her* midas has a little extra kick.
It was a double whammy, I did dry hop her midas, but not my 3 hearted ale, so we'll both suffer together. Looks like I'll be brewing another Midas touch in the near future.

I'm sure it'll be beer!

Iv done that, and drank it anyway, lol. But if I knew then what I know now, I would put the beer over in the corner of the cellar and forget its there. It nice to have extra carboy, kegs or bottles for this. Ageing the beer will fix your problem for sure.

Time can reverse the hoppy character. Don't despair. I am not yet an experienced home brewer. I am however an experienced taster of bottle conditioned hoppy beers. They will mellow out.

Give it time...be patient. Label your bottles and forget they were ever fermented. In 6 months to a year the beer will be matured fully.

At the rate SWMBO drinkes her midas touch, buy the time shes finishes a case, it'll be 2010, which I'm fine with. She still has pumpkin beer from last January.

I went ahead and bottled the midas touch & kegged the 3 hearts. If it's lacking, ill dryhop in the keg.

Im sure both will turn out to be fine beers. 1 year matuirng dosent scare me!

Update:

I ended up dry hopping the 3 hearts, and its a drinkable beer, not my best effort, but a solid beer, none-the-less.

The Midas on the other hand, if FREEGIN GREAT! Its not quite carbed up yet, but it is one of the top 5 beers I've brewed. I Highly reccomend throwing an extra ounce of centennials in fro dry hopping about 2 weeks before you bottle. It GREAT! SWMBO loves it, and I'll drink it too. This beer wont last long.

I bet hops was originally added to beer by mistake. Heck, beer was probably made by mistake the first time.

I wonder, did drinking beer precede the original moment of genius?? :)

Missed this thread the first time around. Was thinking you may be able to reduce the effects of the dry hop by putting some corn or invert sugar into the beer. That would kick start some fermentation and the C02 would "bubble out" some of the hop aroma. Of course this would give it an extra alcohol kick...

Back