Why is my sparging resulting in cloudy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nipsy3

Reaction score
I've gotten plenty extract brews under my belt with success. So, I've moved on. I've just done my second all-grain batch. The first didn't go so well. I hadn't noticed at first, but it was very full of sediment and never cleared, even at bottling time. I just did my second yesterday, and when I was getting ready to pour my starter in, I alredy noticed some sediment seperating in the wort.

First, what am I doing wrong that the wort is so cloudy (full of proteins?)? I thought about using irish moss next time, but that wouldn't really solve my problem.

Second, can I save this batch? I thought about siphoning the clear wort from the top, and just going with that, but I'd be losing about 1 1/2 gallons of beer. But I guess it's better than having 5 gallons of ****ty beer.

BTW, this is a german hef that I did with a temp controlled mash.
Grain bill -
- 5# Marris Otter
- 5# German Wheat
- 1# Carmel Wheat

It will just settle to the bottom anyway, don't worry about it.

What are you using, a manifold, false bottom or screen? I had a problem with my manifold the first time, so now I just wrap a paint strainer around it and get super clear runoff.

Are you recycling at least a quart of runoff to allow the sparge to clear?

I haven't pitched any yeast yet. So there's no cloud from that. My previous all grain batch was an Irish ale. It too was cloudy.

I'm using a homemade lauter tun. Two buckets, one with 1/8" holes drilled into it.

What is your chilling and transfer process? What temperature are you getting to when racking to fermenter? Much of the protein should be left in the boil kettle.

Yes, Whirfloc or Irish Moss could help if your transfer process is sound.

KD

Seeing a lot of break when you pitch the yeast is normal. That will definately settle to the bottom.

If it's cloudy after fermentation, use whirlfloc or gelatin, get as much cold break during chilling as possible, and or try cold crashing the fermenter before bottling.

Definitely get a better hot break and cold break and use whirlfloc in the kettle. That will cause all those floating proteins to coagulate and fall out.

Still, a wheat wort generally is cloudy, so I wouldn't worry about this batch at all.

Whirlfloc & Irish moss will help clarify your beer. Post-ferment, try giving it a month before bottling.

I use irish moss and the whole hops make a good filter bed.
I've never had problems.

If you are still struggling you could try darker beers until you figure it out.

I haven't pitched any yeast yet. So there's no cloud from that. My previous all grain batch was an Irish ale. It too was cloudy.

I'm using a homemade lauter tun. Two buckets, one with 1/8" holes drilled into it.

As others have said wheat is supposed to be cloudy. ;)

I started with a manifold with 1/8" holes. I ended up switching to slots because I could never get my wort to clear. The holes were too big to get reasonable filtering with the crush I have (gap is ~0.041).

Rather than scrapping the bucket, maybe try adding a nylon mesh (panty hose maybe?) to the bottom to provide additional filtering.

And, +1 for Irish Moss or Whirlfloc in the boil. It makes a huge difference. When I add it I always get a second hot break and have to back off the heat to keep from boiling over, it works that well!

- Eric

BUT - save yourself the money, dont bother using Irish Moss in a wheat beer! Wheats are supposed to be cloudy, so if you haven't done it yet, PITCH THAT YEAST and let the fun begin!

+1 to Irish Moss or Whirlfloc, they really do work well. And besides. Just because your beer is cloudy doesn't mean it sucks!!!! Who told you that? The guy who runs Busch? ;) :D

Head to your local Home Depot and check next to all the nice fancy paint sprayers... ignore the guy drooling and pawing at them, that's just me... and buy a 2-pack of 5 gallon paint strainers. I bet you could put one between Bucket 1 and Bucket 2 without ripping it. Or you can just line the inside of the top bucket, THEN pour in your grains and waters. Brew in a bag in a bucket! :D

Back