High Final Gravity...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jekster

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batch today, an American Weizen, and didn't think to take a gravity reading until the end... It was in Primary for twelve days with little to no fermentation activity for the past five or so days.

It had a OG of 1.056 and my measure FG was 1.021... It was supposed to be a 1.014. However, I added 4.3 oz of Corn sugar to the batch to prime. Is there anyway I can calc for my gravity prior to adding the corn sugar? I ask because this gravity seems a bit high and I want to make sure I didn't just loan my closet with potential bottle nades. As always, thanks in advance for the help!

Here is the recipe, incase that factors in:

Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 5.00 gal

Fermentation Temp: 67-70

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 87.5 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 6.3 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 3.1 %

0.60 oz Hallertauer [6.00%] (50 min) Hops 12.3 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer [6.00%] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
1 Pkgs American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP320) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.6 %

The safest way to ensure the fermentation was done, and bottle bombs would not be created, is to take a reading when you think it's done, and then another 3 days later. If there is no change, bottle! Given your current situation, you could do what I did the first few batches: put the bottles inside a strong rubbermaid tub with a tight-fitting lid, just in case they do start exploding. Other than that, maybe check a bottle after a week and see if the carbonation seems especially high. If so, call some friends over, and drink up ASAP. Good luck!

According to Beer Smith, 4 oz of Corn Sugar added to a 5 gallon batch of beer will only raise the FG by .002. So subtract that from your measured FG and voila! That's your calculated-actual FG (isn't that an oxymoron?).

Also as soon as they are carbed up stick them ALL in the fridge, that will help to make the yeast go dormant and stop the fermenting in the bottle. Also give me a call i'll help you out, getting rid of them that is! BTW how did it come out, did it taste alright or was it pretty sweet?

Cheers

wop31 said:
Also as soon as they are carbed up stick them ALL in the fridge, that will help to make the yeast go dormant and stop the fermenting in the bottle. Also give me a call i'll help you out, getting rid of them that is! BTW how did it come out, did it taste alright or was it pretty sweet?

Cheers

Efreem: Thanks man. I did a similar calculation and came up with nearly the same thing. I actually used a carb calc and added 4.3 oz of corn sugar to what actually turned out to be around 4.5 gallons of liquid. That accounts for almost 3 points which brings my FG to around 1.018 which is a tad sweet, but I can deal with it.

As for the taste, it didn't have hardly any clove at all, which was a bit disappointing. I was going for the flavor feel and taste of Upland's Weizen, but hit something much more like their wheat without the citrus hit. My GF said she thought it tasted something like a Blue Moon and I would concur. Their was a slight bit of sweetness, but it was definitely not over the top. This was even with the corn sugar added. (again, lesson learned to take gravity and a sample before tossing it into the bottling bucket) I'll be interested to have one this coming weekend and see how it changes with some carb time a bit of less temp control during carbonation. Maybe I'll get lucky and get some more of the yeast character from a hotter temp.

Although, I am happy that I learned quite a bit about wheat beers. Mainly that I don't have to be scared of going over the top with WLP 320, it just doesn't give that much in the traditional clovey banana hits, especially not at the 68 degrees I kept it at. ;)

Latest posts

Back