Remove spear in 50L Stella keg- help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRems

Reaction score
Hi, I had someone give me a 50L Stella keg. The center spear is nothing like a standard sanke D coupler. How do I remove it? There doesn't seem to be a ring to remove like all the others I have done. I tried to search but didn't come up with much. Thanks

Can you post a pic? I think those you have to whack the tabs. If it's anything like a strongbow keg, it's a b!tch to get out without making a tool for it.

counter clockwise. use a heavy duty screwdriver and whack it with a hammer. Usually one good hit followed by firm tapping works best to get it out.

Make sure to turn the keg on its side and release the pressure or you'll get a spear in the face.

Incase anyone else wants to know it does unscrew. But there is a lock tab that holds it on even after unscrewing. I'm sure there is some kind of special tool they use at the brewery to remove it without damage but I had to pry the center section out with the rubber seal. It came out pretty easy with a 2ft pry bar. Then the spring, dip tube, and other spring come out. You will see a small tab on the inside get a screwdriver behind it then pry it out, it's spring loaded so leave the screwdriver behind it and pull up. The rest then lifts out. I'm going to use it as a fermenter so I had no problem damaging the valve. I don't think this type of spear can be removed without destroying it ( unless you have the special tool) so if anyone plans to keg in this you are better off trading for a standard d coupler keg.

Back