Barleywine aging and temps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I really would like to try a barlywine but have a concern....listening to the Jamil show he said to age at 50 degrees or less for 6-12 months. My problem I I think I could put it in my fermentation fridge but that would be in the 60's and ideas?

If you don't have access to a cellar, I would suggest burying a non-working small freezer or fridge appx. 6' deep and covering it with insulation, actually any airtight container would work. Or, if you want to purchase something, possibly a wine cooler, or, you can simple make another fermenting fridge/freezer and set the temp accordingly.

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

My BW habits=
ferment in low 60s till done
secondary(keg) at 34-38f for 6months
add dry hops 1 month before serving and/or bottling.

While 50F would be ideal you can age an ale at warmer temperatures. The more important parameter is temperature stability so if you have a place where the temp stays relatively constant throughout the day, even if its in the high 60's, you could age your beer their.

GT

I have only done a few batches, and nothing quite as big as a barleywine (or RIS, etc.) yet. I was wondering, what is the difference between letting a big beer get down to FG, and then priming/bottling and aging vs. an aging period in secondary and then bottling. What are the pros/cons of either approach?

Back