Wee Yeasties Enjoying New Food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
This is the first time I am adding anything to the secondary other than hops. This is my Irish English Toffee Stout recipe.
Irish English Toffee Stout

Ingredients

7 lbs. Amber Liquid Extract
0.5 lbs. Black Malt
0.5 lbs. 120-L Crystal Malt
0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley
2 oz. Fuggles for 60 min.
1 oz . Willamette for 10 min.
1 tsp. gypsum (if needed for pH)
5 gal. water
1.5 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs Irish Ale WLP004
1 lb. Heath Bar Toffee ground up as fine as you can get it this is to be added to the secondary fermenter after one week in primary.

So I racked yesterday to the secondary and the yeast is going crazy not High Kreausen crazy but my bubbler is going off like every 8 seconds.
Is this normal and about how long do you think it will settle down?

Okay it's official there is now a new Kreausen in this batch. At first I though it was just the chocolate bits floating on top but I just got home from the gym and that small layer of chocolate is now supported by an inch or so of kreusen. Is this normal for when sugar is added to the secondary.

voodoochild7 said:
Is this normal for when sugar is added to the secondary.

If you added a LOT of sugar, then a second coming of the foam could happen, I guess... but according to Hershey's website, there is only 24g of sugar in a Heath bar. That's only 0.85 ounces of sugar.

I wouldn't expect that small amount of sugar to do this.

On a side note: my Pandora's Box ended up somehow having two heads of krauesen on it. The firist came and went in 4 days, then the second one started a day later and lasted another 4 days. The second one LOOKED like it was rubbery and gummy, but that might have been an illusion.

I never figured out why it happened, but the beer seems to be doing fine. Bottling it tonight.

-walker

voodoochild7 said:
Well I did use a pound of heath bars

ahhh... I misread the recipe. I thought you used only 1 bar, but I didn't have the heart to tell you that you probably wouldn't be able to taste it with such a small amount. :)

1 lb of heath bars would give you roughly around a half pound of sugar, so that might explain it. :D

-walker

Back