First SMaSH and first time using home grown hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krebs119

Reaction score
I'm pretty excited about this, and figured I'd post it up. I'm interested to see what people think on my idea...

I've been interested in doing a SMaSH for a while, and I just finished picking my 2nd year Nugget Hops. I haven't weighed it yet (they are still drying) but I'm estimating about a pound of Nugget! I picked up the vacuum seal bags from Amazon last week and intend on freezing some soon.

Anyway, here's my thought on my SMaSH:

2.5gal, BIAB method.

5lb Maris Otter - 60 min mash at 152
+/- .75oz Nugget leaf hops at 60 min
+/- .25oz Nugget leaf hops at 15 min
+/- .25oz Nugget leaf hops at 1 min

WLP028 yeast, currently in a starter.

For what it's worth, I haven't used MO yet, and heard nothing but good things. I'm looking forward to getting a good grasp on both my home grown nugget, as well as MO. I did a Scottish 80 a few months back with WLP028, and really liked it, so I'm reusing it for this.

Probably brewing this on sunday or monday - really looking forward to it and any comments/suggestions you folks have!

Cheers!

Bumpity bump bump.... any thoughts on this? MO + Nugget a bad combo? Yeast no good? Too much/too little hops?

I like MO a LOT and would def do a SMaSH with it. I did your recipe in BeerSmith and my Nugget hops @ 13% AAU say you have 90 IBUs in the recipe. I'd maybe back off the 60 minute addition, 79 IBU's a bit. Unless of course your Nugget is lower AAU

Thanks!

Maybe .5oz, and then .18 at 15 and .18 at 5?

I have no idea what the IBUs are on these hops. This is the first time I'm brewing with them (first time I'm brewing with whole leaf hops for that matter).

Back