I screwed up. How badly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toothman

Reaction score
I knew I was forgetting something. Instead of stirring my priming sugar into 16 oz. of boiling water ( for a 5 gal batch), I dumped the sugar into the bottom of my bottling bucket and then siphoned the brew in on top of it . I did give it a gentle 2 min. stir. When I was done racking, I saw maybe a teaspoon( out of 5oz.) of sugar on the bottom of the bucket that didn't dissolve. What I'm most worried about is contamination from the corn sugar. I don't think the lack of the 16 oz. of water will matter that much. Any opinions appreciated. thanks

I doubt you'll have any problems. I've already added a 1/2 cup or so when I rack without boiling to the batch with no ill-effects.

So you are saying you dumbed sugar directly into your bucket? That's not optimal. Usually when bulk priming we boil our solution in 2 cups or so of water which we boil. Then we add that to our bucket, and rack, that liguid will mix fine with the beer, and carb up just fine.

So you are saying you dumbed sugar directly into your bucket? That's not optimal. Usually when bulk priming we boil our solution in 2 cups or so of water which we boil. Then we add that to our bucket, and rack, that liguid will mix fine with the beer, and carb up just fine.

Thanks guys,
I'm hoping since there was only a tsp. of undissolved sugar on the bottom of the bucket when it was empty, that the sugar got distributed enough. I did a gentle stir for about 3 min. after racking to the bottling bucket so I'll just have to wait and see. Won't make that mistake again.

Back