Real Stir Plate Coil Magnet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crouchingwombat

Reaction score
I tried to find some info on this one and thought I should ask around...

I had an old stir plate with 6 magnets that didn't work. I took it apart and saved a magnet to make a new stir plate... I'm wondering if anyone else has salvaged an old stir plate and rebuilt it...

Here is a picture of the magnet, pretty basic.

IMG_20151119_101438.jpg

Are you talking about re-building the controller so that it continues to function like a commercial non-spinning magnetic stir plate? Or are you talking about stripping the magnet and sticking it to a PC fan?

I would like to build, or buy, a new controller and power source to make a electromagnetic stir plate. The old controller didn't work so I took out a couple of the coil magnets with hopes to make a new one.

I had an electrical engineer at the time that was going to help me but that opportunity is long gone. I might be out of my element with this. I was hoping to make something simple - control the power to the magnet to control the speed. Shouldn't it be that easy?

I am not aware of an off-the-shelf controller that would work for this, but there certainly might be one.

If you figure something out, be sure to let everyone know.

-B

I like the idea of a solid state stir plate. You can probably use a stepper motor controller to get it to work. They are common and you can find them pretty cheap.

Back