Direct fire MT, bazooka screen or false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerberbb

Reaction score
I am in the process of starting to build a tier unit a piece at a time. I just acquired a keg with ss valve and thermometer. However, no false bottom or screen. I have used a manifold previously in my rectangular coolers as well as a screen when I was doing partial mash. I like the cost of the bazooka tube compared to the false bottom, but am concerned about keeping the grains off the bottom couple of inches of the kettle? Seems like it would be harder to make even heat. I plan on adding a recirculation pump in the future but do not want to be rushed. What would you guys recommend?

I don't recommend direct firing a mash tun at all, unless you're recirculating.

Either way, I'd go with the false bottom.

Full width false bottom and a pump a la a direct fired RIMS system which is what I am using.

I have nothing nearly this advanced, but do remember the steeping/partial mash days when it was pretty easy to burn grain on the bottom of the pot if I wasn't careful... so I reckon you don't want grain immediately on the bottom of the pot.

Okay, buy why? Because you want the heat to be even? Please explain, can it be done however?

The problem is that there is no way to stir the wort that lies below the false bottom and there is a high probability that this will lead to scorching the wort. Additionally, it will be near impossible to heat the grain bed uniformly by stirring alone. You only need to attempt this once in order to understand. You can, however, do a manual circulation while heating the MT directly. This would be draining wort into a large measuring cup or something similar and returning it to the top of the MT. This can be a lot of work and requires constant attention throughout the mash duration. While you are doing that, visions of pumps will be dancing through your head. I guarantee it!

Back