Is it possible to have a 98% brewhouse efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan567

Reaction score
Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster here. Im stumped. I'm pretty sure it must be wrong, but I can't figure out why.

We brewed an esb yesterday that's happily fermenting right now. Everything went swimmingly until we took the gravity reading. We got 1.074 post boil with 12.75lbs or grains!

here's the grain bill:

11.5lbs UK pale 2-row
.75lbs UK Brown malt
.5 UK Crystal 70L

Pre-boil Volume was 6.35 and post boil it was 5.2. I used 5 gallons in the calculator as the batch volume as we discarded about .2 gallons of trub.

We normally get around 75% efficiency with our setup so we were expecting a gravity of around 1.055 ish . What happened here??! Beersmith has our efficiency for this brew at 98.9% !!!!

here's a pic of the grav reading:

http://imgur.com/1QApU.jpg

ahhh.. that may be it there.. beersmith shows 1.029. never really thought those would be inaccurate..

but still, would it throw it off THAT much?

ahhh.. that may be it there.. beersmith shows 1.029. never really thought those would be inaccurate..

but still, would it throw it off THAT much?

Sure. And each batch of malt is slightly different- that's why efficiency numbers are just a guess unless you have a malt analysis sheet in front of you with the actual numbers from your malt. I just used an average of my previous malts- yours may be quite a bit different.

Latest posts

Back