First time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garyius

Reaction score
Midwest kit into a chest freezer with external thermo.

Sweet stout, I adjusted the water to try to be right at 5 gal. Three-and-a-half weeks in the fermenter.

I went out and got the air bottle filled. Super hot water in the keg several times (until the orange smell stopped).

Filled from the fermenter. I was slightly low. Filled at 5lbs twice. Dumped through the safety valve each time. 20 lbs, shook the heck out of it.

In the freezer now, will shake again tomorrow.

Questions:

Do I leave the air on or shut the bottle?

Next time do I clean with one step?

Can I realistically sell bottles on craigs list?

I think he meant sell the empty bottles he delabeled. I've seen ads for people trying to sell cases all the time and I just laugh. I don't think anyone would actually pay for that. I gave away about 14 cases on craigslist when I went kegging. Left it open if people would donate a 6 pack of homebrew. Of course they are usually new brewers and don't have any or much to spare.

That would make sense if he's just now getting into kegging from bottling...
I'd agree with mosquito in this case. Giving away is a better option if you just want to get rid of them. BUT, a word of warning. Even though you're kegging you may still want to bottle from the keg from time to time. Competitions, sharing with friends/family, aging a few bottles, etc. Always nice to have some around. I have about 5 or 6 cases of empties around most of the time and I've been kegging for years.

God, I'm so lost with this thread....I give up. Everyone else, carry on....

But I will say my CO2 is on at all times. If you have no leaks there is nothing to worry about.

Back