Replacing Willamette with Citra in a hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got these new citra hops and I am excited to try them.. I have never made a wheat beer before, but my friends are suggesting I have one on tap so I figured I would play with the recipe a bit and maybe make it a little more "fruity".. So what do you guys think about replacing the Willamette ( 5% AAU, 0.85 oz boiled for 60 min) with the Citra (11% AAU, 0.50 oz for 60 min)? I know it's gonna bump up the IBU's a little, but I would think that the supposedly "interesting citrus and tropical fruit characters" that this hop imparts would be good in a hefe.. What do you guys think?

Could be good. Schneider Edel-Weiss uses Cascades and it's absolutely glorious when it's fresh.

Best hefe I ever brewed had only 9 IBUs of Crystal (.5@60, .5@10), but the half-ounce add at 10min really came through. Maybe do only a late addition with the Citra....

Don't think you're gunna get much of those citra characteristics out of just a 60min add. I'm with 944play, maybe just do late adds with it.

Back