Wrap Brain Around this!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
So, i am loaded adn being driven home from a husker game tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Go Huskers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i am looking at the stars and i think to myself......................wow, i wonder how far it is to the end of the universe, then i think, well how the **** can there be an end to the universe? Am i to think it is just like what Colubnus thought about the "new world"! that there was an edge to the map and that was it, you just fell off into nothingness?

It makes my head hurt to think about how many places undiscovered and the fact that if you calsulate the odds, there is a pretty good percentatge chance there is intelligent life out there!!!

Wow, im loaded.

Go huskers!!!!!!!!

HEHEEHEHEH, sorry that it is that obvious.

Ok, so columbus knew, but you are missing the point about the universe. is there an edge to it?

Reverend JC said:
HEHEEHEHEH, sorry that it is that obvious.

Ok, so columbus knew, but you are missing the point about the universe. is there an edge to it?
I don't know if there is an edge or not but let's say there is. What is on the other side of that edge? If there is no edge how can space go on forever? That's what makes my head hurt.

The universe is expanding at the speed of light faster than we can perceive it. Don't worry about it and drink another beer lol.

While drinking that beer, though, have a gander at this: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/
Note that even at 10^23 meters from earth we only see an insignificant bit of the actual 'sky'. Further note that this is only what we humans with vastly limited imteligence have learned in our blip of a spec of existence.

Take the time to actually relate to the distances. Take it to "Manual" control to do so.

chillHayze said:
The universe is expanding at the speed of light faster than we can perceive it. Don't worry about it and drink another beer lol...
True, in your case your brain is not ready to accept the speed of light. To put it in relative terms...how many flies have you tried to snatch out of the air and failed? They only fly 3-5 MPH...and you are concerned with the speed of light...???;)

Louis Black claims that the end of the universe is where ever is there is a Starbucks directly across the street from another Starbucks.

Since I'll probably never find myself more than 100 millionth of a light year away from my present position, I'm not gonna worry too much about the ends of the universe.

I'd be content to find more intelligent human life on this planet. We live in a world where murders happen over trivial things, racism is STILL a problem, "politically correct" means "being over-sensitive" rather than "making a sound decision for the good of the nation," and, among a million other less-than-intelligent things, BMC is still the preferred beer for a large portion of the population.

Yuri_Rage said:
I'd be content to find more intelligent human life on this planet. We live in a world where murders happen over trivial things, racism is STILL a problem, "politically correct" means "being over-sensitive" rather than "making a sound decision for the good of the nation," and, among a million other less-than-intelligent things, BMC is still the preferred beer for a large portion of the population.

Amen, Brother!!!

There is an end to the universe. You can see it in Englehard NC. If you drive to the bridge at the end of town, you can see the stars at noon. Kinda freaked me out the first time.

Yuri_Rage said:
Since I'll probably never find myself more than 100 millionth of a light year away from my present position, I'm not gonna worry too much about the ends of the universe.

Could be a sign that we've been "dummied down" too far...:drunk: :confused:

homebrewer_99 said:
Could be a sign that we've been "dummied down" too far...:drunk: :confused:

It is not us dumbing down, it is that the world is getting more complex and it looks like we are not as smart as we used to be. eg : Years ago when we went to the shops we went in, there were two or three different types of shampoo to choose from, we bought the biggest and cheapest, paid in cash and left. Now we go in and there are 100's of different types, spend ten minutes trying to remember what shmbo uses, get one at random, pay by credit card (to get the airmiles), hand over the shops "loyalty card" to get the points. Also remembering to keep the recipt to get the 4cents a litre off petrol, drive home (no longer as many corner stores), show wife shampoo and drive back to get the correct one repeating all the previous stages (which is why they give you money off petrol?) Rant over...

The other problem is the gene pool but I will not get started on that!!!

At least beer is getting easier :mug:

dibby33 said:
It is not us dumbing down, it is that the world is getting more complex and it looks like we are not as smart as we used to be. eg : Years ago when we went to the shops we went in, there were two or three different types of shampoo to choose from, we bought the biggest and cheapest, paid in cash and left. Now we go in and there are 100's of different types, spend ten minutes trying to remember what shmbo uses, get one at random, pay by credit card (to get the airmiles), hand over the shops "loyalty card" to get the points. Also remembering to keep the recipt to get the 4cents a litre off petrol, drive home (no longer as many corner stores), show wife shampoo and drive back to get the correct one repeating all the previous stages (which is why they give you money off petrol?) Rant over...

The other problem is the gene pool but I will not get started on that!!!

At least beer is getting easier :mug:
You, my friend, I am sorry to say it but, are a perfect example of dummied down...your example shows product loyalty on many levels...just buy the cheap stuff...you're not paying for all that advertising they do...:D (except for the beer!)

homebrewer_99 said:
You, my friend, I am sorry to say it but, are a perfect example of dummied down...your example shows product loyalty on many levels...just buy the cheap stuff...you're not paying for all that advertising they do...:D (except for the beer!)

:confused:
I was just using that as an example, I am sorry I confused you. I was illustrating a point that we now have so many more possible options to select just in making a simple purchase. This could have the effect that we seem to be not as smart as we used to be because the task itself has become more complex.

As for "showing product loyalty on many levels", this is shmbo, and I therefore have no understanding of this.

Personally I have no credit card (not that stupid), use cash and then use the shampoo that I incorrectly buy :eek:

dibby33 said:
:confused:
I was just using that as an example, I am sorry I confused you. I was illustrating a point that we now have so many more possible options to select just in making a simple purchase. This could have the effect that we seem to be not as smart as we used to be because the task itself has become more complex.

As for "showing product loyalty on many levels", this is shmbo, and I therefore have no understanding of this.

Personally I have no credit card (not that stupid), use cash and then use the shampoo that I incorrectly buy :eek:
Sorry, Dibby, wasn't planning on making it sound personal. I apologize. Sounds great what you're doing. As for options I just pick one that suits me best. I am debt-free also.:D

No problem mate. I nearly let rip into you but text on a screen can be read in different ways. Even with the Smilies :)

I am off for a beer :mug: ...if you are ever in Tasmania we can discuss this (and the gene pool!) over a frothy as they say down here.

dibby33 said:
...if you are ever in Tasmania we can discuss this (and the gene pool!) over a frothy as they say down here.

You should know that if anyone who frequents these boards are ever in Tasmania, we're coming to drink don't you? :D

In an effort to get the thread back on track...
The universe? Just the spew from a gnab gib. It'll go away eventually. :drunk:

(Thanks Cheese for bringing up "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe." :rockin: )

Ize

chillHayze said:
The universe is expanding at the speed of light faster than we can perceive it. Don't worry about it and drink another beer lol.

While drinking that beer, though, have a gander at this: http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/
Note that even at 10^23 meters from earth we only see an insignificant bit of the actual 'sky'. Further note that this is only what we humans with vastly limited imteligence have learned in our blip of a spec of existence.

Take the time to actually relate to the distances. Take it to "Manual" control to do so.

The universe is not expanding at the speed of light. If it were, we would see no stars in the sky, no distant galaxies, powerful bursts from pulsars, or the like. The universe is expanding at a an accelerating rate however. This accelerating rate started ~7x10^9 years after the big bang, and is the result of Einstein's so called "cosmological constant" overpowering the decelerating pull of gravity (the cosmological constant exerts a constant repulsive force regardless of distance whereas gravity decreases with distance). We will eventually, some 100 billion years in the future reach a point where the universe IS in fact moving faster than the speed of light however. You will be able to look up at the sky and see nothing but empty blackness.

As far as "what's beyond the edge of the universe"; scientists do not yet know. So far we know that there are only a handful of shapes that the universe could possibly resemble, based on translational invariance, as well as time symmetry. We also have the exact equations to figure the shape out, but they rely on very very precise measurements, including the estimation of all the so called "dark matter" in the universe, as well as the energy/mass density. Currently the technology and theory doesn't exist to perform these measurements precisely enough, but with the information we do have, we can tell that the universe is either flat, or an extremely extremely large sphere. The problem is that similar to earth, if you are standing on a large enough sphere, everything appears flat unless you have measurements that are precise enough to reveal the curvature. If the universe expanded as rapidly as we think it did, the task is daunting. If the entire universe were shrunk to the size of earth, our visible universe would be about the size of a grain of sand. Imagine being a little grain of sand on a beach and trying to figure out if the world is flat or round!

To answer the original question, if the universe is flat, when you reach the "edge", you will "wrap around" to the other edge. It's similar to how in pac-man if you are travelling upwards and go past the top edge, you come reappear on the bottom edge of the screen. If the universe is a sphere the answer is pretty obvious.

Are there any scientific theories on how we went from no matter/energy to matter/energy?

TxBrew said:
Are there any scientific theories on how we went from no matter/energy to matter/energy?

The universe was originally flat, but is now swelling. At one point in time, there was an extremely small amount of matter. Then there was a big bang. Three to 24 hours later, the universe had swelled considerably. After swelling to the maximum, the hand of the creator opened the top of the universe and threw everything into a whole new universe where we eat sweet things and piss out beer.

Ah, the life of yeast is a simple life, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure the edge of the universe is where the "Flying Spaggetti Monster" lives. (google it) Have you been touched by His noodly appendage?

dibby33 said:
No problem mate. I nearly let rip into you but text on a screen can be read in different ways. Even with the Smilies :)

I am off for a beer :mug: ...if you are ever in Tasmania we can discuss this (and the gene pool!) over a frothy as they say down here.
If I ever end up in Tasmania it'll be because I was invited...:D

Back