rush of air when bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woopig

Reaction score
So I just bottled my fifth batch, and I'm finally getting around to ask this question. I don't think it's significant, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one who gets this.

My bottling setup is a bottling bucket with short PVC tubing connecting a fermtech bottler to the spigot. I also installed a 90 degree PVC elbow as a dip tube (thanks Revvy!).

When I first push the fermtech down into the bottle, I get this quick little rush of air out of the spigot. It lasts a second and it's gone. It gets less and less as I bottle, but it takes a case or so before it's gone.

All it really causes is about half of the top of the beer to have some bubbles, so I really don't think it's enough air to cause concern. But I'm curious because I can't seem to find anyone else who gets this. From the dip tube maybe? Would you guys worry about it, or let it go? Thanks

There must be air in the line - it's all physics via liquids. I'm not familiar with the fermtech but I get a similar bubble of air when siphoning out of my primary. The bubble forms a few inches downstream from the racking cane and is remedied easily buy pinching the tubing briefly right above it.

Back