Stumped on some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djkadak

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm working on a study guide for my Intro to Beer and Brewing class , and I've singled out ten questions that I can't figure out after reading my textbook (Beer by Charles Bamforth). It would be great if you guys could help answer some of these!

1. The main surface-active component that stabilizes beer foam is?
2. The gas that promotes beer staling is?
3. The tendency of beer to spontaneously foam is called?
4. The major source of carbohydrate for making beer is?
5. If hop extracts are reduced they can be used to protect against?
6. Some starches need to be cooked before use. Examples are:
7. How does Darcy's Law explain the rate of wort separation?
8. The solid material produced in boiling is called?
9. During fermentation yeast generates a noxious flavor substance called?
10. The best way to prevent beerstone is to add what in the brewhouse?

Hi and welcome to HBT! I don't know the answer to many of those questions, including #1, so I'll start with #2 - oxygen or O2. Oxidized beer can lead to a stale, cardboard-like flavor.

1) proteins
2) O2
3) the beer is more than likely over carved, but it can be a case of inadequate CO2 absorption
4) sugars
5) ?
6) this is a confusing question for me. Most grains are malted and heated to stop growth and dry them out. Some are cooked to change the color, I think there may be a few that have to be cooked, but not sure which
7) ?
8) kettle trub
9) Esters or fusel alcohol. I am sure there are other answers
10) no clue

1) ?
2) oxygen
3) fermentation?
4) barley (grain)
5) spoilage
6) not sure if they're referring to the mash or the malting process. most grains are kilned to some extent in the malting process, some more than others. also, grains need to be prepared in a mash (or a steep) to impart flavor, color and fermentables into the wort.
7) who's what?
8) break material
9) diacetyl
10) again, do what now?

from http://quizlet.com/3125294/print/

1. The main surface-active component that stabilizes beer foam is? proteins
2. The gas that promotes beer staling is? oxygen
3. The tendency of beer to spontaneously foam is called? gushing
8. The solid material produced in boiling is called? trub or hot break

Thanks everyone for answering. I'd also like to say, thanks for the welcoming attitude. I posted this same topic at BeerAdvocate, and not only was the thread ignored, but the moderators deleted the thread. So thanks again for the help!

@Draken and NordeastBrewer77

I found the answer to 7, if you guys were curious. Darcy's law describes the flow of liquid through a porous medium. In a brewing context it is applicable to wort separation and beer filtration, where liquid collection will be fastest through devices of high surface area, small depth, and high hydraulic head. The designs of lauter tuns and mash filters are very much in accord with Darcy's law.

7) Rate of liquid flow = Pressure x surface area x permeability / depth
So mash tun geometry matters (surface area/depth), intact husks matter (permeability), grain bed depth matters (depth/permeability), and temperature matters (viscosity)

10) Nitric acid? and/or non-caustic cleaners

Back