First partial attempt. Kind of screwed up, but hopefully not too much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I had a hell of a day on Tuesday. Just one of those days where work was awful, the drive to and from work was awful. Nothing good happened. So I decided it was a great day to try my first partial. Get my mind off things. So, I wasnt thinking too clearly. I heated my water up to roughly 155 or so. I then proceeded to put my grain in a grain bag and soak it in the brew pot. Well, 40 minutes go by and I remember, oh crap, Im doing it wrong. So, I then took the grain bag out and emptied the water and grains into the mash tun. Soaked for amybe an additonal 10 mins and then sparged. So, do you think the brew is going to be bad or do you think it will be ok? I got the correct amount of runoff and hit my OG. Thoughts are appreciated.

You weren't doing anything wrong. You were just doing it differently than you intended. The only complication from your actual method is heat loss. Instead of dumping into the mash tun, you could've just as easily completed the mash in the brew pot and added heat as necessary to keep you at the target temp. I am curious what temp you actually mashed at. If you were continually applying heat during the brewpot portion of the mash, you may end up with a lot of unfermentables. If you let it lose heat the whole time, you may end up with more fermentables than you intended. Either way, you hit your OG and volume. You'll probably be fine. You'll just have to be extra careful to make sure fermentation is done before bottling or kegging since your FG will be a bit of a mystery.

Yeah. I kept the pot at a constant 155 for the 40 mins and then heated it up to about 159 before dumping into the mash tun. Then I put the lid on. The temp before I drained was about 157. Then I sparged at 170. It will be interesting for sure. Hope it turns out good. Wild Hop Honey Ale sounds tasty.

Will do. Started bubbling like crazy about 12 hours after transferring to fermentor. So I may not be too far away from getting that FG reading.

Back