Fermenting in a Cornie...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayabusa

Reaction score
I did my first fermentaiton in a cornie, sanitized the cornie; put the diptube cit 1/4", poppet and ball lock on the OUT side and on the in side a ball lock without a poppet; the connector on that and some hose into starsan...

48 hours later I wonder why no active fermentation and check the pressure relief and pfffffffffft.

Obviously the gas connector needs a poppet to depress the pin valve which I forgot about - how are you guys keeping that depressed? For now I just have the pressure relief in the open position. I don't want to ruin a gas connector if I dont have to, is there an easy way to press it open?

i am currently doing this as well started fermenting a week ago yesterday in the corny. all i did was sanitize the corny placed wort and yeast in connected dis-connect to the gas in with a blow off tube. purged any oxygen out by shooting some CO2 in and releasing the valve. blow of tube started burping a few minutes later.

i am currently doing this as well started fermenting a week ago yesterday in the corny. all i did was sanitize the corny placed wort and yeast in connected dis-connect to the gas in with a blow off tube. purged any oxygen out by shooting some CO2 in and releasing the valve. blow of tube started burping a few minutes later.

you left the poppet in?

you left the poppet in?

yeah i asked around the site a bit before i actually started fermenting and MoRoToRiUm on here posted pics and mentioned he does this all the time with no problems and so far 1 week into my fermentation i have no problems at all. seems to be working great.

i would say it is safe to put the poppet back in and i bet fermentation will go smoothly :mug:

I took the post off the cornie and just installed an usual 3 piece airlock. I used 3/8" silicone tubing I had for transfering, cut off a 2" piece and it slips easily over the airlock and with a little work slips fine over the threads for the cornie post.

i would say it is safe to put the poppet back in and i bet fermentation will go smoothly :mug:

i ended up just removing the gas connect and put tube over the post - i wasn't to worried about it since airtight isn't required, and i am sure i was protecting it from falling debris...

i will definitly use the post / tube in the future though... 4 more days to gas transfer to secondary cornie anyway. happy drinking.:mug:

i ended up just removing the gas connect and put tube over the post - i wasn't to worried about it since airtight isn't required, and i am sure i was protecting it from falling debris...

i will definitly use the post / tube in the future though... 4 more days to gas transfer to secondary cornie anyway. happy drinking.:mug:

good to hear everythings going good :mug:

good to hear everythings going good :mug:

Thanks - I think I will reserve the cornie fermenting to simple, small beers and Apflewein since the headspace doesn't accomodate a big krausen without losing it all thru the tube. If I do a big beer i think other vessles will be best. I love the idea of being able to transfer from keg to keg though. I need to cut some sankes to accomodate corny lids!

I have been wanting to this also just can't find a cheap sanke
Thanks - I think I will reserve the cornie fermenting to simple, small beers and Apflewein since the headspace doesn't accomodate a big krausen without losing it all thru the tube. If I do a big beer i think other vessles will be best. I love the idea of being able to transfer from keg to keg though. I need to cut some sankes to accomodate corny lids!

Latest posts

Back