Better Bottle carrying handle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buford

Reaction score
For any of you out there with Better Bottles - can the neck of one with the blue snap-on handle support the weight when full? I know you should never do that with glass carboys, but I'm curious if you can tote around the BBs that way.

I can't speak for the snap-on handles, but all of my better bottles have standard clamp-on carboy handles, and I do carry them full that way. No problems so far.

You CAN do it.....I have, but it makes me nervous so I like to keep positive control of my precious wort. I can't imagine how long it'd take to clean up after a better bottle that took a trip down the stairs :D

Like Revvy say, the airlock gets in the way, but you will want to remove it anyway as when you pick up a full one, you will get suckback and your airlock will empty into to bottle. I have a couple, but only use them when the BB is in a chest freezer.

When I move my Apfelwein BB's from the brew bench to the counter for racking, I use one hand to grip the neck and the other goes underneath. By lifting underneath, the full bottle does not flex as much as it does when you lift it by the handle.

I keep my better bottles in canvas tote bags.
You can find them cheap at second hand stores.

The better bottle does not flex when lifted.
The tote handle makes lifting a breeze.
And, the tote blocks out the light.

All my BB's have the orange clamp-on carboy handles and I carry them all around full from the handle with no problems and the airlock does not get in the way. Just make sure you use a 3 piece airlock or it will suck it all in.

Like Revvy say, the airlock gets in the way, but you will want to remove it anyway as when you pick up a full one, you will get suckback and your airlock will empty into to bottle. I have a couple, but only use them when the BB is in a chest freezer.

When I move my Apfelwein BB's from the brew bench to the counter for racking, I use one hand to grip the neck and the other goes underneath. By lifting underneath, the full bottle does not flex as much as it does when you lift it by the handle.

+1 on all of the above...

I went to the LHBS last night and bought one of the 6 gal better bottles. I was debating for about 10 minutes whether or not to get one of those handles, I put the handle on, carried it around and decided that I didn't trust it. The other (non-brewer) customers thought I was nuts carrying around a big empty plastic bottle! I still think I will go with the clamp on, even with assurances.

Point of interest, like many places, my LHBS is no longer carrying the glass carboys.

Now that I have a secondary, my primary is ready for another brew!

This is the greatest hobby in all the known universe :mug:

I have the handle, but only use it for removing the closures. I use the BB airlock or transport with a plug in the closure. I prefer just picking up the bottle, drying first if necessary and carying it with one hand on the neck and one under the bottle. No incidents...............yet.

Flyangler18 started a thread on it, but just stirring it around on edge to aerate wort is bad and leads to bottom breakage (sit on tennis ball and pivot circular motion to aerate), which they even have on their site. It's happened to many brewers; hence I must emphasize the importance of supporting the bottom (which is why my reply was "Milk crates" before). Protect your investment and it will serve you for years to come.

Back