Flavor Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Mad_Scientist

Reaction score
I started a Belgian style last week. It has been in the primary for about 8 days and it is still highly active so I am going to wait to transfer to the secondary a few more days.

But the real question is, I took a small sample tonight to taste how it is going(I will take reading when I transfer it in a few days). And the flavor profile right now is very nutty and slight sulfur flavor. I know some yeast strains will develop the sulfur but will fade as it ages over the next few weeks. But this is the first time I have had that strong of a nutty flavor...it really taste like It has hazelnuts in it.

Here is the recipe I was using:

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.8 %
1 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.4 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 4 6.9 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 12.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 6.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 1.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -

Is the nutty flavor something I should worry about? Or is it normal for the style/ingredient/yeast strain?

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

Ok, I will let it go and see where it is in a few more weeks....It was just such a strong flavor that was not there form the initial wort. Just checking to see if something went amiss and it got infected

Back