Long time drinker - First time brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMorrissey

Reaction score
A close friend of mine is gluten intolerant. He's been after me to help him brew a batch of GF beer (meaning I'd brew it, he'd help drink it) and has a recipe he'd like to try. Not sure where he got it from. He's offered to pay for the ingredients, but since I've never done a GF beer before, I figured I'd check with people more knowledgeable than me.

Any feedback, comments, suggestions on his recipe welcomed...

6 lbs of Sorgum Syrup
1 pint of Molasses
4 oz Maltodextrine
1/2 oz Columbus @ 60
1/2 oz Columbus @ 45
1/2 oz Columbus @ 30
1/2 oz Cascade @ 10

Safale US-05 Yeast (2 packets??)

It's basic I know but that's all he has for the recipe. I've provided him with copies of the many recipes on this site, but he wants to try this one... It's his money, but I want to brew something that's at least drinkable.

looks simple enough. if he likes hops i would probably add a 20 minute and flame out addition to ensure I could hide the sour sorghum taste. also, it appears you know this, but in case someone mentions using wyeast or whitelabs yeast, the wort these are stored in is not gluten free.

one final note. steeping/mashing some oats can help impart mouthfeel. bob's red mill makes gluten free quick and instant oats.

Honestly? Seems like a pretty standard pale ale to me. I expect that the sorghum may be a little prominent in the batch, but you can age it a bit to reduce this. And the hop quantity will probably mask what's there.
You don't necessarily need two packets of yeast, but it should be fine.

I do like some flameout, or dry hop for aroma at the end as well.

I'm not a big fan of steeping oats since it introduces a starch haze when there's no conversion going on, and prefer a bit of maltodextrin on some of the chocolate beers.

I usually do something similar with an different goldings hops to get a baseline reading on how my other beers taste. Unless I have a bards or redbridge hanging around.

If you wanna tone down the Sorghum you could always substitute some honey in there. Not too much though, as honey tends to have its own plan when it comes to fermenting

Are you planning to use the fermenters you use for regular beer? I know people with celiac use dedicated GF fermenters to avoid any gluten contact.

Back