Testing the limits of my generosity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.n.budz

Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed here more than once but I need to rant a little here because I'm pretty pissed about this...

Normally I'm more than happy to share my brew with anyone that comes over because typically they are my friends or my roommates friends, who in general are a good group of guys. Unfortunately 2 of my roommates friends have really been taking advantage of my generous nature.

Over the weekend the mooching culprits were over when I was not. They proceeded to drink 4 or 5 apfelweins(which I don't really care about since it's so cheap to make) and a sh!tload of my keg of porter. The worst part of this is when I went to empty the 1 gallon drain bucket it was nearly full because the idiots probably don't know how to pour a beer properly. That's 20% of my keg wasted!! They even managed to screw up my tap faucet, it now rotates about 180* :mad: :confused:

And it gets better... The next day one of them came over again and had 2 empty bottles with him. He said he was returning them because he knows that I'm, in his words, "A nazi when it comes to collecting bottles" They actually took 2 beers for the road!!!

I talked to my roommate about this, since it's not the first time it happened (I had a 12 pack that I was saving for the last beer swap with a DO NOT DRINK sign on it that they drank most of) and he apologized and said that he wasn't paying attention to how much they were drinking. These two have probably drank and/or wasted 2-3 cases since my roommate moved in and they have NEVER brought beer over and never even picked up a few rounds at the bar. Apparently one of these guys is a well known moocher in his circle of friends and is usually over my place at least once a week, earlier last week he showed up, walked into my kitchen, grabbed a beer, then asked if it was okay if he had a beer... You already opened it you *********!!!

I'm usually all about sharing but these idiots are cut off until they bring over a few cases or until I hand them a good solid beating...

rant over...

Easy solution, Faucet locks!!!!! THEY WORK!!!

sorry to hear about your loss, let me know where to send flowers.

I'd be pissed. I'd implement a pay-to-drink house rule from now on. I’d say it’s cool to drink my beer, but it’s not FREE and I put a lot of my free time into making it. Contribute to the cause or drink something that isn’t mine.

Next time they come over be a complete ass and demand money. I am such an ass about this stuff because free-loading isn't cool when you're not there. No matter who they are.

Just because they come over doesn't mean you have to get them drunk. I'd put a tip jar next to the tapper. Or better yet, go to their place and help yourself. I've had moochy friends in the day and it came down to finally letting them know that they're welcome to have one, but they need to replace it and an MGD != good beer.

It's not even just the mooching that's pissing me off... They're not even gracious about it:mad: saying I'm a nazi about bottles with a sarcastic tone, drinking a bunch of my porter (on top of what was wasted down the drain) and saying "well, I prefer something lighter" Yeah? Well then drink the cans of Genny Cream Ale in the fridge you cheap f*ck!!! If you're going to mooch at least pretend to be polite about it.

Man, I'm getting pretty worked up over this, I need a beer!

Klainmeister said:
Next time they come over be a complete ass and demand money. I am such an ass about this stuff because free-loading isn't cool when you're not there. No matter who they are.

He's right. The only way you're going to get them to know that it pisses you off is it you act like an arse about it.

Cheesefood said:
Just because they come over doesn't mean you have to get them drunk. I'd put a tip jar next to the tapper.

I completely agree, but when I'm not there I can't monitor how much they drink. A beer is one thing but pouring a gallon of a keg down the drain and drinking at least another gallon makes my blood boil. If I put a tip jar out for these particular jerkasses it would probably end up with 47 cents in pennies in it... I think I'm just going to disconnect and hide my regulator if I know tweedle dee and tweedle dum are coming over

those tap locks are pretty expensive. You could just disconnect the serving lines and padlock the fridge. That would be a cheap, effective solution

Yeah, but if you put a visible lock on it they might F uck with it...then you might just have a broken tap.

I like the disconnecting idea better...

rdwj said:
those tap locks are pretty expensive. You could just disconnect the serving lines and padlock the fridge. That would be a cheap, effective solution

Or just keep a keg of this around and hook it up whenever you leave. After 1 or 2, they'll never bother your taps again.

Maybe bottle some piss and put a "Do Not Drink" sign on them. They'll surely drink them then! That'll teach 'em!:mug:

Get some old corona light, leave it in the sun for a few weeks, then transfer it to your bottles, but add a teaspoon of Splenda to each bottle before capping.

Chill those puppies, and then leave them where they will be picked up. Heheheheh.

Problem with doing the disconnect is that you have to know they are comming over. Since you make apfelwein, donate a keg to holding the trub from a few batches and just leave that one on tap next time they are over. Should give em a good run for their money.

I think you need to confront them, face to face, about it. You don't need to be an ass, but you do need to say something directly to them.

Confrontation sucks, and its hard to do, but short of moving out its the best way to change the situation.

Its your beer. They'll back down if you call them on their asslike behavior.

Glad my roommate pitches in on beers he knows he will like. This is also the reason I brew beers that I like and non of my friends do.

The problem is you can't always know when they are coming over, and you know they won't leave money in a tip jar or anything if you aren't there to enforce it. My solution would be to start charging your roomate, since they are his friends. Tell him, your ****in friends just drank through $20 or whatever of my beer, and didn't replace it, so you owe me the money. He'll either just keep paying for his friends and letting them be dicks, which is a sucker move but its his choice, or he will get all over their case about it because now it is his money. It's easier to mumble "sorry about my friends" than it is to reach into your wallet and hand over money for them. And if he's a dick about that, take it out of your end of the rent, take a little more out for a "service fee" and start looking for a new roomate.

brloomis said:
I think you need to confront them, face to face, about it. You don't need to be an ass, but you do need to say something directly to them.

Confrontation sucks, and its hard to do, but short of moving out its the best way to change the situation.

Its your beer. They'll back down if you call them on their asslike behavior.

I have no problem with confrontation, and it's definitely coming soon. I just can't believe the audacity of people that will do something like this and see no problem with it at all, as if they were entitled to drink my beer and act like an ass while doing it.

My roommate only drinks hard liquor, the new rule might need to be "your friends drink your booze"

cnbudz said:
It's not even just the mooching that's pissing me off... They're not even gracious about it:mad: saying I'm a nazi about bottles with a sarcastic tone, drinking a bunch of my porter (on top of what was wasted down the drain) and saying "well, I prefer something lighter" Yeah? Well then drink the cans of Genny Cream Ale in the fridge you cheap f*ck!!! If you're going to mooch at least pretend to be polite about it.

Their ungrateful attitude is what struck me. I make beer to drink and be enjoyed, but if you enjoy the fruits of my labor (beer, food, home), then you damn well better not be an ungrateful snot about it.

Personally, I'd lay it out on the table that they are ungrateful, selfish ********. Perhaps they will see the error of their ways. If not, they deserve what's coming to 'em. And that would start with a good ass kicking...

rdwj said:

Just put a valve between the keg at the tap. One flip, it's off. Another flip, it's on. And your keg never sits off pressure.

cnbudz said:
I have no problem with confrontation, and it's definitely coming soon. I just can't believe the audacity of people that will do something like this and see no problem with it at all, as if they were entitled to drink my beer and act like an ass while doing it.

How old are these clowns? It seems to me that the sense of entitlement you are describing is becoming ever more prevalent among today's 20somethings. I am not saying they are all like this, nor am I saying that there are not any obnoxious older people, I'm just saying that there seems to be this prevailing attitude of "if I want something, I am entitled to it" lately.

Man, I'm pissed off and its not even my beer they're drinking. :mad:

Your roommate is just as much to blame. I like the "your friends drink your liquor rule."

People who think they can take something just because its there are ****** bags.

BierMuncher said:
They’re like puppies.

Swat em on the nose with a newspaper and yell…”NO….Bad roommates….BAAAD roommates…”

I tried that with my roommate...

Still pisses on the f***** floor.

I can't really blame my roommate since he never paid attention to how much they were drinking. Now that I've said something to him he said he'll keep an eye on them, unfortunately that doesn't get me my beer back...

Moral of the story: When you happily live alone and one of your friends says "My lease is up. Can I rent your spare bedroom?" Say NO!!!

EdWort said:
Get some old corona light, leave it in the sun for a few weeks, then transfer it to your bottles, but add a teaspoon of Splenda to each bottle before capping.

Chill those puppies, and then leave them where they will be picked up. Heheheheh.

I like that idea the best. I would do it even if your friend talks to them. Honestly, if they drink it, it's their own damn fault.

Another good one is the yeasty beer...

Glad to know you're getting somewhere with the problem.

I have a friend who is incredibly cheap, that may be their problem. I've invited him over to my house for nights of drinking on me and when I go over to his house I can barely get a glass of juice if I asked for it.

Just be a dick. A big dick. I wish I knew more decent people to share good beer with, and you have these a-holes that criticize your beer, waste it, but still have no problem drinking it when they run out of pisswater.

Seems to me that the consensus is to do the following (with varying amounts of time, patience, and/or repetition between steps):

Step 1: Confront the moochers (with your choice/brand of volume and violence).

Step 2: Demand money.

Step 3 (with a bit of my own spin): Disconnect the kegs from the tap, put as many bottles as you can in the kegerator, and lock its door. Put the rest of your bottles in the back of the fridge. Put a case or two of cheap beer in front of it.

Step 4: Demand money for the cheap beer that is now gone.

Step 5: Take the cost of the kegerator door repair and as much of your ingredient bill as you feel appropriate out of the rent payment.

Step 6: Get a new roommate after kicking the present one squarely in the groin.

McKBrew said:
when they run out of pisswater.

Reading this just made me realize that drinking your beer is not the problem, it's the symptom. The root problem is that they are out of pisswater. That's a simple problem to remedy. Grab a few corona bottles, some caps, and your capper. RDWHAFHB, and then (with careful aim) replenish their supply. I think you will find that they no longer take your beer.

Back