Carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadianbrewer2012

Reaction score
I am making a 23 liter batch and I have 2, 19 liter carboys ... Would there be a problem with dividing the batch into 2 different carboys for fermentation?

12 liters in a 19 liter carboys should be fine. be sure to pitch a good starter/sufficient dry yeast so that fermentation takes off quickly and rapidly produces CO2. that should push out the oxygen and protect the beer, despite the somewhat large headspace in the carboy.

pitching 2 different yeast is a great idea, like a neutral/clean yeast and a belgian.

I'm actually 6 days into fermentation ... I was hoping to transfer my primary which is 23 liters into 2 19 liter carboys to complete fermentation

Dude...buy another carboy. Doesn't say where you are but you must have a kijiji--should be able to get a 23 litre carboy for ten bucks!

If you end up splitting your batch dry different dry hops or something. If I had a lot of headspace like that I would try to purge it with CO2 but not everyone has access.

Why do you think you need to transfer your beer anyway? There's no downside to just leaving it in the primary until you are ready to bottle (unless you want to start another batch, in which case...dude, buy another carboy.).

I'm actually 6 days into fermentation ... I was hoping to transfer my primary which is 23 liters into 2 19 liter carboys to complete fermentation
you shouldn't transfer until fermentation is complete. little to no fermentation should take place in secondary.

how full is your 23L primary? you may be able to rack to your 19L secondary without having to split (i.e. fit it all in one 19L). between the headspace on the 23L and the fact that you'll be leaving the trub behind, you may be able to go straight into a single 19L. this would allow you to fill the secondary all the way to the top, which is what you want. this will limit how much oxygen is in there.

Back