Wheat beer produced astringent wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
I brewed an American wheat yesterday and when I tasted the wort post boil, I could taste the tannins. It produced a slight drying sensation in the mouth that lingered for a few seconds. Here's the recipe:

OG: 1.043
SRM: 3.8
2kg wheat malt
2kg two-row
60 min addition of Magnum to 17 IBU

I hit all my temps, all my gravities, all my volumes and since I BIAB, there's no concern the wort got down below 1.010. The only thing I don't know is the pH of the mash since I have never tested it (I know...).

The thing is, I brew with well water. It is potable and tastes great, but after a heavy rainfall, I run into small turbity problems which leads me to think the mineral composition changes. To add to the problem, I phoned about 6-7 companies and all they do is test for potability (ecoli, coliforms and stuff like that) or they offer a very incomplete water report that only covers iron, manganese, hardness, pH, TDS, smell, turbidity and tannins.

With that in mind, would I be better off building my own water from scratch when brewing very pale styles and using the well water for darker ones ? I have never had any problems with bitters, milds or stouts.

The mostly likely culprit is mash and sparge pH. After that, I'd look at sparge temp.

I had a run of astringent beers I traced back to using too fine of a BIAB bag. If you get a lot of draff into the boil kettle that could do it.

Sparge temp is out since I sparged @ 170F exactly with a calibrated thermometer. So yeah, that leaves mash pH and sparge pH. Unfortunately, I should have tasted both.

The mostly likely culprit is mash and sparge pH. After that, I'd look at sparge temp.

I had a run of astringent beers I traced back to using too fine of a BIAB bag. If you get a lot of draff into the boil kettle that could do it.

And wouldn't you be using a too coarse bag if you were getting too much draff ?

Back