Hop Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilbrew

Reaction score
Well, I was going to do my first all grain batch tomorrow. I got the Irish Red Ale All Grain Kit from Northern Brewer and they forgot to include the 1 oz of Willamette (60 min) and 1oz of US Goldings (30 min) - I hate these kinds of screw ups. Anyway, I have plenty of Cascades in the freezer and 1 oz of Saaz. Can I substitute these for what was supposed to be in the grain bill, Which one would you use at the 30 mark?:mad:

I personally think it will taste better with the hops you have instead of willamette and golding.

I would use 1 oz. Cascade for bittering (60 min) and 1/2 oz cascade and 1 oz of Saaz at the 30 min mark.

That is the best I can do with the hops you have. Although I use Cascade in my Irish Red and it will taste better.

Forrest

I personally think it will taste better with the hops you have instead of willamette and golding.

I would use 1 oz. Cascade for bittering (60 min) and 1/2 oz cascade and 1 oz of Saaz at the 30 min mark.

That is the best I can do with the hops you have. Although I use Cascade in my Irish Red and it will taste better.

Forrest

And that's why I love AHS. Not only do they usually include the hops you ordered (nothing against Northern Brewer, have ordered from them several times), but then Forrest will get on here and give you suggestions to fix something that wasn't even his problem.

Thank You very much, I was looking forward to brewing tomorrow and the beer might taste better to boot.

Back