Carbonation drops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
A lot of folks tell me that they don't give any off flavor? But for some reason when I drink homebrews where people have used carbonation drops I noticed this funny taste that I can't put my finger on?
There's kind of this interesting flavor and I'm almost positive it comes from the carbonation drops? I have a pretty good taster so I'm wondering what this could be?
Anyone care to chime in?

Maybe it's their brew process or their materials (water, fruit, grain, LME, DME, juice, etc)

Is it the same person that uses the carb drops or completely separate brewers with different setups?

From what I understand they are made with Glucose and Dextrose.

Hmmm... I bought a bag of Coopers drops and I did not notice any flavor difference. People have not mentioned anything to me, when trying my bottled beers either.

I keg most of each batch and force carbonate.
And I only do a few bottles which I prime them individually.

The bag of drops are almost gone, and I will be going back to corn sugar dextrose for priming.

Pickled_Pepper said:
Maybe it's their brew process or their materials (water, fruit, grain, LME, DME, juice, etc)

Is it the same person that uses the carb drops or completely separate brewers with different setups?

From what I understand they are made with Glucose and Dextrose.

Well I noticed the flavor in my first brew where I use carbonation drops, And someone brought a brew over the other night where they used carbonation drops and I tasted the same flavor?
I think they used a little brown sugar before they fermented and that is what I did on my first brew as well? Maybe it's from brown sugar?

[this is in cider, not beer... Sorry for the confusion]

Missed that this was in the cider forum. :eek:

For my "Johnny Jump up" cider I used the Coopers drops, and I have some bottles left so I could compair it to the kegged "Johnny Jump up".

Just Kegged and bottled my "Elderberry Cider" and used table sugar for priming.

Back