Stout hop ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhookmec

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
ApexBrewWares Malted milk stout

Batch 5gal
Grain bill 9lbs(not including malted milk powder)

45% Brown malt
5% Carafa malt
25% Carmel 40L
25% Carmel 60L
26oz malted milk powder(added last 5min of boil)
Wyeast 1056

Now i'm looking for some hop ideas/schedule for this beer.

Any ideas??

Whoa man that's way too much crystal malt! I think you should only use about 20% of the malt bill in crystals. Plus I didn't think that brown malt had any enzyme power. If thats true you won't have very much enzymes to break down the malt and the mash efficiency will suffer greatly. I think you should use 1lb of brown, 1ln crystal each and use more of a pale malt for base. Maybe add some roasted barley. As far as the hops, you can use any bittering hops like nugget, Columbus, or.even cascade. Most stouts do not accent flavor or aroma hops and focus mainly on the malt character.

Whoa man that's way too much crystal malt! I think you should only use about 20% of the malt bill in crystals. Plus I didn't think that brown malt had any enzyme power. If thats true you won't have very much enzymes to break down the malt and the mash efficiency will suffer greatly. I think you should use 1lb of brown, 1ln crystal each and use more of a pale malt for base. Maybe add some roasted barley. As far as the hops, you can use any bittering hops like nugget, Columbus, or.even cascade. Most stouts do not accent flavor or aroma hops and focus mainly on the malt character.

Thanks Schoellhorn82, Now that i look at your right I'm missing a base
malt.

How's this sound...

50% Maris otter
15% Roasted barley
10% Brown malt
5% Carafa I
10% 40L
10% 60L

1 oz glacier 60min

That looks better. I thought that was a kit you were using. I also seen people using up to 50 percent of brown in porters before. Seems like it should be a good stout.

correct me if I am wrong. The Roasted barley will give it the stout taste. Brown malt will give it the porter taste. which direction do you want to take the beer to? Brown and roasted barely would be a good stout. (the new recipe looks good for a stout).

Looking a lot better. That Marris Otter is a nice choice as a base malt. Now, I usually do 10gal batches and rarely ever excede 2 lbs of a dark malt. You may want to cut back a bit on the Roasted barley, maybe at 10%. I've only used brown malt once in a brown ale so I dont remember what the % that you'd want to use but you may want to do a little research on that malt. Also, you could just try it out and it may be great. Let us know what you decided and how it turns out. Either way it'll be beer!

Whoa whoa 15% of your malt bill roasted barley? My RIS had 10% dark malts (say greater than 350 lovibond) with 6% RB to be exact. Also, I would HIGHLY stress bumping the basemalt to closer to 80% of the bill as well. None of those other grains are going to yield any fermentable sugars. Cut the crystal additions in half. 20% is far too much crystal. Get your malt bill straight before thinking about hops!

I *love* Cluster in my stouts. I also frequently go to Challenger, EKG, Fuggles for the same purpose.

However, last weekend, I brewed my stout with Chinook, Centennial, and Amarillo. :fro:

I agree that your grain bill is going to make a ton of difference, I hold to two different schools of thought: when I want to make a "proper" dry stout, I stick to 90-95% Pale Malt (or Golden Promise or MO) - 2-4% Roasted Barley - and a small addition of acid malt. When I want to make a sweeter, more robust, "modern" stout, I blend small additions of lots of dark malts including C40, C60, C120, Coffee, Pale Choc., Chocolate, Roasted Barley, to produce a grain bill that is, perhaps, more fitting of a porter.

Thanks for the ideas guys,,
going with this for now and will see how it comes out, should be good..

70% Maris Otter
10% Brown malt
5% Carafa I
5% 60L caramel
5% 120L caramel
5% Roasted barley
26oz Carnation malted milk powder added last 5min boil(not included in g-bill)

1oz Glacier 60min
Wyeast 1056

Another beer put together by the guys at HBT

You guys rock :rockin:

Rock on - Let us know how you like the malted milk powder in it - I'm quite curious and I love malt powder. Mmmmmm. (First job was at an ice cream shop, where I had access to it in bulk. Quadruple-Malted chocolate shakes are awesome.)

Back