GE Walmart Fridge into Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauntedyards

Reaction score
I bought a GE GMR05BLPBBSC off one of my tenants for $40 thinking it was going to be the same as this guys: http://www.tracezero.net/Beer/2009/10/17/ge-clean-steel-4-3-kegerator-conversion/

Turns out it was a bit different.... the freezer fills the whole width and curves up the back.

6958-photo-1.jpg

So after a couple of Witchwood Wychcraft beers I got the guts to start bending!

6960-image-4.jpeg

6961-image-5.jpeg

Just barely a kink in the line after wedging it with a rubber mallot.

6959-image-3.jpeg

Pretty much flat to the back now!

6962-image-6.jpeg

I plugged it in and it gets cold again... I wonder if I have to move the thermostat somewhere else or use a digital one now... it looks like it took the temp at the back of the freezer...

I measured inside it's 28" tall... 17.5" wide... 11.5" from door to hump. 4.5 cubic feet.

I just ordered 4 "LIKE NEW" pepsi kegs for $38 each with $35 shipping from mceverdistributors. They look brand new and said they would pick me some super nice ones...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/110817755851?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I bought my double taps and tower.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/110828853069?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

and I got a cool tap handle for my pumpkin ale I'm brewing soon...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180821693271?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I just need a good deal on CO2 now!

I bought some 2.5lb co2 tanks (which aren't used anymore) then took them to get filled. Airgas traded me my tanks for two full 5lb tanks for $10

Its a nice trick to save some money. I did it by accident but oh well

I wonder if my local gas place has a tank exchange program... might be easier and quicker than owning...

Well it seems to be holding temp on the lowest setting between 36.6 and 39 when the compressor kicks... I don't know how having 2 full kegs in it will affect temperature...

I wonder if my local gas place has a tank exchange program... might be easier and quicker than owning...
airgas does if there's one around you.

Well it seems to be holding temp on the lowest setting between 36.6 and 39 when the compressor kicks... I don't know how having 2 full kegs in it will affect temperature...

kegs will help it maintain the temp. once the kegs are at the right temp they'll keep the inside of the fridge cold and put less stress on the compressor because it won't have to kick on as often.

Well I've been having troubles with the temp dropping below zero in the fridge now it thinks it's a freezer I guess since the probe and thermostat kept fridge temp based on freezer spillover. So I order the ever popular Ranco controller so that should help I hope.

I manages to pick up a 5lb Co2 tank filled and tested for $60 from a fire company that does scuba stuff as well.

Ordered all other parts and a 2 product regulator from ontariobeerkegs.com. Wish now I'd gotten the %5 off but their free shipping helped.

I finally got my tank, regulator and kegs and am pleased to see it all fits with lots of room!

Now I can start the build...

photo[3].jpg

image[8].jpg

BAH! I just screwed into a bloody freon line in the side trying to attach my controller. I sirs... am an ass!

Time to find another fridge...

I bought a black GE fridge from walmart to make a kegerator and knicked the coolant line during my build also... I was pissed to say the least.

So I went back to Wally World bought the same fridge and put broken fridge back in the box and returned it no questions asked.....:ban:

I bought a black GE fridge from walmart to make a kegerator and knicked the coolant line during my build also... I was pissed to say the least.

So I went back to Wally World bought the same fridge and put broken fridge back in the box and returned it no questions asked.....:ban:

I've done that with Amazon.com purchases too. :p

Back