Chest Freezer fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outnumbered

Reaction score
Ok so I am looking at all the home bulit fermentation chambers and they look great. But buying a chest freezer looks a lot eaiser. So my question is how many 6 gal carbouys will fit in lets say a 7 cu ft chest freezer (sams club). Do you need a collar for the freezer for it to fit the carbouys? Any help would be great.

i have a 10 cubic ft freezer, no collar was required, i can get three in there, have not tried more than that, it also depends on if they are 6.5 gallon or 5 gallon

Assuming the 7 cu ft at Sam's is close to my Lowe's purchased Holiday (and I'm relatively certain it is) you can fit two in there. The hump prevents a third. Oh, and if you're just using it for fermentation you don't need a collar. If you want to fit a third a 2x6 would give you enough clearance, I think.

i can fit 4 ball locks (20oz coz inside(undersized tank)) with an 8+" collar on the holiday 5.0 from lowes, paid 170 with tax and delivery. I can fit 2 7+ gal buckets(with spigot) if I build a stand. Just look at the sticky on "sizing your chest freezer" and follow the recommendations and adjust for carboy measurements . However I ended up needing an adjustable thermostat to accurately control the temp without burning out the compressor.

If your want to ferment 2 buckets, I would go with at least a 7+ cubic foot for the least hassle.

i can fit 4 ball locks (20oz coz inside(undersized tank)) with an 8+" collar on the holiday 5.0 from lowes, paid 170 with tax and delivery. I can fit 2 7+ gal buckets(with spigot) if I build a stand. Just look at the sticky on "sizing your chest freezer" and follow the recommendations and adjust for carboy measurements . However I ended up needing an adjustable thermostat to accurately control the temp without burning out the compressor.

If your want to ferment 2 buckets, I would go with at least a 7+ cubic foot for the least hassle.

Back