what to do with a leaking smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoadsrage

Reaction score
I got my smack pack out of the fridge, getting ready to do a starter for next weekend. I started to shake it to get things moving and warm it up a bit. Before I even popped the pouch inside, it started leaking from the seam.

I assume the liquid in the pouch is the yeast and the liquid outside of the little pouch but in the smack pack is wort? Is that right? If that is the case, can I take out the unpopped pouch and sanitize the outside, then just add it to the starter?

Thanks for your help.

I got my smack pack out of the fridge, getting ready to do a starter for next weekend. I started to shake it to get things moving and warm it up a bit. Before I even popped the pouch inside, it started leaking from the seam.

I assume the liquid in the pouch is the yeast and the liquid outside of the little pouch but in the smack pack is wort? Is that right? If that is the case, can I take out the unpopped pouch and sanitize the outside, then just add it to the starter?

Thanks for your help.

The liquid INSIDE the unpopped pouch is nutrients- the other liquid is the yeast. It sounds like you're leaking yeast. Sanitize the outside where it's leaking (spray some sanitizer on it), then sanitize some scissors and pour the yeast into a sanitized container right away before you leak out any more.

Man, I was hopping that wasn't the case. Well I guess I will just get a fresh yeast. Thanks for your help.

Back