Need help reading a Ward Labs Report for Northern KY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p40whk

Reaction score
Just got this today. I'm running a whole house filter and take the water before it get's softened so it's as close to where it comes in the house as possible.

pH - 7.5
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm - 199
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm - 0.33
Cations / Anions, me/L - 3.4 / 3.1

ppm
Sodium, Na - 23
Potassium, K - 3
Calcium, Ca - 30
Magnesium, Mg - 9
Total Hardness, CaCO3 - 113
Nitrate, NO3-N - 0.6 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S - 20
Chloride, Cl - 21
Carbonate, CO3 - < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 - 73
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 60
Total Phosphorus, P - 0.17
Total Iron, Fe - 0.02

I couldn't find a thread that described what each of these means in relation to brewing and what the optimal numbers should be so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

A good overview can be found here: https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/water-knowledge

That's fairly good water with manageable alkalinity. You will need to use a small amount of lactic or phosphoric acid for most of your recipes to get close to 5.4. Small amounts of Aciduated malt will work as well.

You will want to watch your sulfate levels if you are brewing a really soft style, like many lagers. Sulfate, SO4-s at 20 = SO4 at 60 ppm or 1.5 meq/L (for AJ). Still this is a good starting point for many ales, and dilute with RO or DI water for much softer profiles.

Of course, deal with any residual chlorine or chloramines with campden tablets. 1 crushed tablet treats about 20 gallons and works very quickly.

Thanks mchrispen! That site is exactly what I needed.

And thanks for the advice, Sounds like my water is manageable which is a huge relief! No more carrying jugs home from the grocery store!

Back