priming sugar + beer = whack ass F.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolf

Reaction score
I forgot to take my F.G. and I was wondering how to reverse engineer my false F.G.

I added 3/4 C priming sugar to 5 gallons of a Hoegaarden clone, then took my gravity reading. It was obviously way too high because of the priming sugar, so can anyone help me solve this? I don't know how much gravity that much sugar added to my beer.

Thanks!!

Well I think... 3/4 cup is about 5 oz. so if you used corn sugar. That should have added a total of 12.5 total gravity points. [(40 ppp/g) so (40/16oz. * 5oz.)] Then divide that by I'm assuming 5 gallons. Gives you an additional 2.5 points.

So lets say your gravity now is 1.012(5) your real final gravity should have been 1.010

Am I right everyone? Let me know if this is not right. Good luck!

I do this routinely. It is easier in my bottling process to wait until the end to check the FG. I don't recommend this for beginners. I've been brewing for 20+ years and know when my fermentation and conditioning are done.

GT

subtract .002 from your read FG. priming sugar doesn't screw up your reading by much.

My F.G. was also high than the recipe because I added 1/2 lb extra flaked wheat. So, between that and the priming sugar, I was 8 points off of my target F.G. of 1.008, but right on target for attenuation.

Thanks for the help!!

Back