Brutus stand...really necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So with my upcoming Xmas bonus, I'm splurging on the goodies necessary to convert to AG brewing. I haven't, however, found any decently cheap ways to purchase/procure/produce a decent Brutus stand. From what I've been researching, most AG setups require a stand of some sort to hold at least 2-3 keg-sized vessels, so I'm wondering a) is it a requirement to have AG setups with this kind of stand, and b) if so, what can I do to cut down on the cost of purchasing/making a decent Brutus stand?

There have been a few threads on the subject lately. Lonnie used 1/8" wall 2" stainless square tube for his design so he wouldn't have to worry about paint or coatings. The thick walled stuff was cheaper than thinner tubing at his supplier at the time. Since, the price of stainless has skyrocketed. So, I've been suggesting that guys cut costs by using mild steel. I prefer 0.065" wall 1-1/2" square tube. It's plenty strong and still provides some surface area for mounting other components. A coat or two of good paint (or powder coat) will protect it from rust. If you're worried about burning the coating off, use stainless only in the high heat areas next to the burners.

To further cut costs, use all manual valves, flexible silicone tubing, and don't bother with a pilot/automatic ignition system.

To cut costs even further, look into a rig like this:

100_0123.jpg

Seriously! You can brew all grain with relatively little equipment.

If you want a REALLY cheap way to brew AG, check out the link in my signature. You don't need much more than what is provided in your average extract equipment kit (but you have to make pretty small batches). It just goes to show that you don't need a lot of money to brew AG. The BRUTUS setups provide a certain amount of automation that is really nice to have when you're looking at consistency in your brews, but there are really cost-effective ways to go from grain to glass.

If you do a search or browse through the threads you'll find lists of what equipment is needed to brew all-grain. Here's my list:

Propane burner and stand
Large boil pot (mine is 10 gallons)
Smaller pot (4 gallon)
Round cooler mash tun
Immersion wort chiller
Grain mill ( I use a Malt Mill)

The key elements to all grain is you need some kind of mash tun and the capability to do large volume boils. The other stuff are details.

Cheers :)

I don't use a stand for AG brewing. I use a table.

Honestly, I'd hold off on a stand until you have your process and equipment under control.

I've posted this before, but my AG brewing gear consists of a single converted keg, a propane burner on a wok stand (which puts the burner at about table height), a 5 gallon OR 15 gallon mash tun, depending on batch size and grain bill, and a few buckets. A folding table holds the mash tun and other bits and bobs you need for a brewday.

I heat strike water in the keg, then dough in to the mash tun. During the mash, I heat sparge water (if I'm sparging) in the keg. I use buckets to move the liquids around.

Once I start to sparge, I collect wort in one or more buckets, and move sparge water with another. Once the keggle is empty of sparge water, I dump in the wort, and start heating to boil.

After a couple of years brewing this way, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for in a stand. I hope to start building it in the new year, once I get a little time to scrounge scrap metal. I've decided on a tree-style stand, so I won't have to muck around with a pump.

Remember, brewing is a craft, and there are many paths to the same result -- good beer.

Back