co2 problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1978

Reaction score
ok, so currently i have a 3 keg splitter running 2 kegs, the 3rd hose is capped until the next batch is kegged. Its been set up like this for about a month. The last 2 times i went and had my 5lb co2 tanks swapped, they went empty in a week, after 1 day it was reading 1/2 full. I have tightened every hose on this thing several times to no avail, my tanks keep running dry after a week. What could this be, is it because im using a 3 keg splitter with only 2 kegs? Im losing my mind here. I didn't have any problems when I was running one keg off a tank, ever since I added more kegs I started having this issue. Please, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions, speak on it.

Most likely a very small leak somewhere. Have you tried using soapy water to check for leaks? Check every connection, seal, disconnect, etc.

If it is carbed up or the lid has been set & keg purged you can have it sit for a long time. I turn off my CO2 between use.

Try and put all parts that can be, put under water as it make it easy to spot leaks. Not the Regulator! The splitter for example has several fittings so dunking that in a bowl of water helped me find a leak. Have you used keg lube on all the 0-rings? Especially the lid.

What kind of splitter do you have? Does it not have check valves and/or shut off valves on it? At the very least you need to have check valves to prevent beer from backing up into the lines and the regulator. If you do have check valves, gas won't back flow either, so the beer will be fine.

i have not used any keg lube. These leaks are very quick, i just had this tank hooked up full last week, checked it today, empty. I noticed when i was cleaning the kegs and would put sanitizer inside and clamp the lid shut, water would leak out as i shook the solution inside. Does this typically happen, or should it not leak even without any co2?

You need to check everything with soapy spray of water. When I first got my kegging kit setup fully from kegconnect I found a leak. If I hadn't done that initial spraydown with starsan to check I probably would have blown through a few tanks of co2 just as annoyed as you. It turned out there was a barely visible crack in the back of the regulator. So SPRAY EVERYTHING and look for bubbles. Good luck.

after 1 day it was reading 1/2 full

If this is the regulator gauge, ignore it. It mostly moves with temperature (it'll be halfway into the "red" zone when you store it inside the fridge). Other than that, it'll only move down when your cylinder is very close to empty.

i have not used any keg lube. These leaks are very quick, i just had this tank hooked up full last week, checked it today, empty. I noticed when i was cleaning the kegs and would put sanitizer inside and clamp the lid shut, water would leak out as i shook the solution inside. Does this typically happen, or should it not leak even without any co2?

This is typical. To seal the lid blast with 30 psi to seat the lid. Keg lube will help big time you should get some a little goes a long way.

Latest posts

Back