Irish...orange ale? Efficiency??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaded_rust

Reaction score
Put together this recipe aiming for an Irish red ale ...its not as red as I intended. The app I use to build my recipes and track brew days is pretty awesome (Biermacht) , and it has a handy little color estimator
Exhibit A:
Screenshot_20170116-191711_zpsymnexvzo.png

My beer however has turned out considerably less red than intended.
Exhibit B:
20170116_190834_zpsh9x1kx2e.jpg

Now, I only hit about a 62 pecernt efficiency according to the app, could this be why?
Did my mash just make poor use of the roasted barley?

It could be protiens floating around in the liquid. Leave a 1/2 to full beaker out overnight and see if it settles out in the morning.And compare the difference. If that pic is after fermentation it could be yeast in suspension that will make it look WAY lighter.

Well...its not very red at all...but it is friggn delicious so I guess thats ok.

20170219_173350.jpg

Here's the recipe. Any thoughts on what i could do to get a bit more red out of this?

Screenshot_20170221-163857.jpg

Here's the recipe. Any thoughts on what i could do to get a bit more red out of this?

You could add a little more roasted malt, if you're ok with a bit more roastiness. Or you can add an oz or 3 of something like black patent or even midnight wheat. I don't think either of those add much roasted character.

Assuming that you are talking about how to make it more red the next time you brew it. I wouldn't try to change a beer that's already been brewed, unless maybe you added a tiny bit of dark candy syrup, but I still probably wouldn't bother.

Right , definitely not planning on messing with this batch, the keg is nearly kicked already

Back