Starting Cider from Beer Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koenigwi

Reaction score
Is there a proper procedure from making cider from beer trub? I'm going to bottle a brown ale in about 2 weeks and I'll have the yeast cake and a little bit of hops in the bottom of the carboy. I want to pour cider on it to make hard cider. I'm going to bottle before it's totally dried out and pasteurize to get the carbonation right.

1) Should I shake the ever-loving sh$$ out of it to aerate like I do with the beer?

2) Do I need to remove some of the trub or wash it?

3) If I want to make 2 gal of cider to try it out, will it be ok in my 6.5 gal carboy?

4) What's the ideal OG to start from?

5) Does the yeast become less effective if I leave the beer in primary longer?

6) Anything else I should be aware of?

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

1) Should I shake the ever-loving sh$$ out of it to aerate like I do with the beer?

Yes, you should aerate the heck out of it.

2) Do I need to remove some of the trub or wash it?

If it was me, I'd wash the yeast instead of just pouring the cider on the cake.

3) If I want to make 2 gal of cider to try it out, will it be ok in my 6.5 gal carboy?

Yes, but you will want to transfer it to 2-1 gallon or 1-3 gallon glass carboy for aging.

4) What's the ideal OG to start from?

Whatever makes you happy. I believe that most ciders are around 1.040-1.050 if they're store bought.

5) Does the yeast become less effective if I leave the beer in primary longer?

Depends on what you mean by longer. 2 weeks? 2 months?

6) Anything else I should be aware of?

Cider, if not done right, will be absolute rocket fuel. Keep the fermentation temperature down, make sure that you add yeast nutrient when you are adding the cider, at 12 hours, and again when about 1/2 the sugars have been consumed. Beer wort has nutrients in it that the yeast needs, but apple juice/cider does not and you will have to take better care of the yeast.

This podcast is for mead, but it's helped me make better ciders.

Latest posts

Back