Sediment on the bottom of the bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleomkd

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I just finished the whole process for my FIRST BATCH OF BEER :D. After "lagering" the bottles as the instructions said, I noticed a thin 2 millimeter layer of some white sediment on the bottom of the beer bottles. The taste of the beer is even better than I expected, but I can't drink directly from the bottle because the sediment will dissolve into the beer, so I must pour it in a glass. Has anyone heard of such a case? What are the possible causes of this, and a solution for the next batch, or maybe this one? Like always, thanks for your extensive and encouraging answers guys. :mug:

That is just yeast settling out of your beer, nothing to worry about and perfectly normal. You can either pour out everything but the last ounce into a glass and drink, or you can drink it right from the bottle, leaving about an ounce.

That's entirely typical for batches that have been carbonated in the bottle. Odds are pretty much against you producing a naturally carb'ed batch that *doesn't* have the sediment layer in it.

FWIW, it's not bad for you (in fact, it's actually fairly *good* for you), and can often enhance the beer. But overall, this is precisely why most homebrewers serve their beer in glasses.

That is the cost of Bottle conditioning if it's not there you have flat beer. You Always have to pour a Home Brew into a glass from it's bottle.

I just had the same experience, and had my mind put at east to learn that it's just the yeast, and is to be expected. When pouring your beer you can use the shoulder of the bottle to keep the yeast behind (if yeast flavors are not lending to the beer), although many praise brewers yeast for the health benefits it has.
I'll edit this to include the thread where so many were able to pitch in and explain the situation.
[edit] https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-beer-has-odd-remnent-275764/

Cheers!

Wow, and i thought I did something wrong with it :). You just made me very happy , thanks for your answers.

Back