please help with hydrometer reading.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I bought a new hydrometer because my old one broke. I tester my beer three days ago and it was 1.010. I think thats the normal way it should be my old hydrometer was a lot better it had on it beer and it had finish desribing the finish range of beer. This one is just white with no desriptions. Its showing the alcohol percentage to be like 2%? I'm kinda confused maybe someone can help me ...

I bought a new hydrometer because my old one broke. I tester my beer three days ago and it was 1.010. I think thats the normal way it should be my old hydrometer was a lot better it had on it beer and it had finish desribing the finish range of beer. This one is just white with no desriptions. Its showing the alcohol percentage to be like 2%? I'm kinda confused maybe someone can help me ...

That "2%" is misleading. It's sort of telling you how much MORE alcohol you could get it if kept fermenting past where it is. It's not telling you how much is in it. Your old hydrometer probably did the same thing.

If you know your starting and finishing gravities, you can calculate the alcohol content.

Back