degreasing home plumbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I have heard everything from clorox (non septic system)

to Dawn dishsoap.

Beneficial bacteria sound good, but I like the idea of cheap.

We wipe off as much grease and butter as possible, but our kitchen drain slows or clogs regularly.

Might be time to get a rooter.

And then run the bacteria through once a year.

Maybe even try Blended sulfuric. So long as the pipes can handle the heat it generates.

Hope you got your drain cleared! Bleach is a waste of time. Drain cleaners are high ph alkaline products. They dissolve hair and grease. Root it out best you can and use a lye or heavy duty alkaline. I'm not a plumber, just deal with a lot of grease and hair in our laundry plant. Hope this helps!!:rockin:

+1 to Laundry. Scrape what you can, then hit with a drain cleaner. Bleach will do nothing.

Also, know that in some instances, the grease is just about the only thing keeping the pipe together. Cleaning with chemicals can actually cause leaks when the pipes get treated. If they were that bad, they needed replacing anyway, but an old house with metal pipes are susceptible to this.

Thanks guys.

I have PVC that may need replacing anyways.

I got a snake in from 2 places and just seemed to push the clog back and forth.

Pros will be there soon.:(

I will use bio clean from here out.

Back