my porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
Any comments/suggestions are welcome on this porter (or porter-inspired beer?) that I intend to brew the week after next.

7 lb 2-row (MO?)
4 lb brown malt (see p225 of Radical Brewing)
1 lb Munich
1 lb rye
1 lb oats (toasted, see p102 of Radical Brewing)
rice hulls

1 oz EKG, 60 min
0.5 oz EKG, 5 min
0.25 oz anise, 5 min

White Labs Burton Ale Yeast (WLP023)

I want to use the essentia bina technique where you take half a gallon of your first wort and boil it until it's a very dark, concentrated syrup. You then add this to the rest of your wort.

Also, I've been toying with the idea of doing decoction mashing to make it slightly maltier (plus, I enjoy decoctions -- it would be my third in a row).

I imagine this is going to be a substantial, dark beer with spicy notes and a slightly creamy mouthfeel.

Essentia bina is fun! If you don't want to take that amount of time, just use molasses. ;)

I like the sound of this recipe. It's going to taste like no porter most people have ever tried. Good luck to you!

Oh, I wouldn't bother with the rice hulls. You'll have quite enough husk matter to lauter if only two pounds out of 14 are flaked grain.

Cheers!

Bob

I am just posting because I want to hear how it comes out. Nothing to add. It is a interesting recipe.

Do you think the added expense of MO is worth it in a porter?
I have made two porters and they both sorta sucked, but I'll keep on it.

Luck!

Absolutely preposterous, cowboying around with a perfectly good English style like that... go for it!

An interesting recipe, although is lacks the two grains that dominate a porter's flavor.

An interesting recipe, although is lacks the two grains that dominate a porter's flavor.

I think that maybe he is getting inspired by the way porters used to be made. Hence the brown malt.

Edit: But I agree.....interesting! I cannot picture exactly what this will taste like.......but it could be good.?.

Just an update on this recipe, having brewed it today. I decided to add half a pound of amber malt, and the quantity of star anise has been changed to one whole star anise. Also, I used dark Munich instead of normal Munich. The rice hulls were also not necessary.

It's very, very and chocolatey. The flavor of the wort approximates that of brownies. Even SWMBO, who hates dark beers, kept coming into the kitchen and sticking her head above the brew kettle because she liked the smell so much.

The OG was 1.111 before I topped it off with distilled water to be 1.074.

I followed a full triple decoction scheme (took me from 11 AM until 11 PM from start to completion of clean-up) and did go with the essentia bina technique.

Back