noob brewer w some possibly stupid questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaizer1

Reaction score
I have recently inherited a pretty decent brew kit w a few parts missing so I have some questions that I can't seem to find answers for in the few brew books I've read.

1. I have a half inch racking cane w auto siphon maybe I'm over thinking this but if I get half inch tubing will it fit over the racking cane or should I get a larger size and I plan to get a bottle filler would an inline valve be worth buying its not about price as they are super cheap but I'm picking upthat sanitation is key so more parts might end up being more problem than its worth.

2. The kit came with over a hundred pop top bottles w the gaskets all dried out and useless I can get more but I'm thinking again for convenience until I get more experience should I get some pry off bottles I can get em free from the beer i drink on the regularand the kit came w a capper so I can just buy caps

3. Carb tabs heard some mixed things about em and just wanna hear some other
PHP:
opinions and maybe some personal experience before I make a final decision

Any advice or conversation would be appreciated thx

Not sure about hose sizing, whatever fits.
Bottling wands have a valve built into the bottom of them, no need for another inline valve.
By "pop top" do you mean old school swing tops, like on grolsch bottles? If so the red/orange orings can be popped off and replaced super easy. Lots of folks like these bottles over capped bottles, but both work!
I have never used carb tabs, only sugars for priming. Doest mean they don't work....

1. Both bottles are fine. If it were me I would use what I got... Since you have the pop tops I would do that. Things tend to get really expensive in this hobby. Remember that the key to good bottling is Perfect Sanitation. Get some new gaskets and go from there. The amount of work it takes to get a used bottle new brew ready is mind boggling at best.

2. Agree is previous post. Whatever size fits the racking cane. I do know that you shouldn't use too big of a hose though. It has to do with the amount of surface space your creating on the beer. When you rack you want to limit the amount of air exposure to the beer. When you start racking get the end of whatever hose you use under the fluid line in your new vessel. Ultimately, if the racking cane is 1/4 inch I would just get that size hose.

3. I am using cooper tabs for the first time in my batch that will be ready to go on Sunday. Ill repost what I think as far as they go if they work or not. I have herd nothing but great things about it.

Buy two bottling wands. When you get the ryhthm you will be twice as fast. Of course you will have to add another hole and valve to the bottling bucket.

You mentioned sanitation. Look into the times when you can use PBW or Star-San. These are must haves for the homebrewer. They can be cost effective and easy, when used properly. I also use bleach for some sanitation, but it is absolutely critical not to leave any residual.

Following up on the carb tabs: not really impressed yet... I used them in my sweet stout and was a bit flat even after letting it sit for a few more days. Ill try them again to see if it was the style. Cheers!

In my experiences,Cooper's carb drops need 3-4 weeks to do the job well. 1 drop per 12-16oz bottle is good.
The bottling wands generally take a 3/8" tube.
You can buy bags of those orange spring top seals at many brewing web sites. My lhbs carries them as well.

Back