StarSan Smell Like Sulphur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmyR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I mixed up a fresh batch of StarSan with distilled water and after a couple days in my bucket with the lid on it smells slightly of sulphur. It's not strong. pH checks fine. it does not remain in or on anything sanitized with it.

Why does it smell at all? It never has before and I leave it in my bucket for days.

I've always noticed a slight smell to my Star San, both diluted and concentrated. It's nothing I would describe as Sulfur though and is barely noticeable; just a mild Star San odor. Not sure why you're experiencing the smell. What was in the bucket before the Star San?

the only time i had the smell of sulfur in starsan is when i made it with tap water, i think it was the chlorine in the tap water? have never had the odor when done with distilled water.

What was in the bucket before the Star San?

StarSan mixed with distilled water that started to get hazy so I dumped it and made up a fresh batch.

I think it has to do with the fact I kept the lid on this bath right after making it.

Back