Mozzarella, more like rubber this time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonemarrow

Reaction score
I used a organic lightly pasteurized, non-homogenized milk. Curd formation was great. After draining the whey I microwaved it as I did last time, pressing out whey and then kneading it. Stretch did not form and the curds squeak when you chew them. What did I do wrong this time? Last time was a regular whole milk, same process, good cheese.

Went ahead and pressed it, any ideas on how this will work? It appears to much rennet could be the problem with it being rubbery.

Maybe over cooked/over worked curds? My first mozzarella was ugly and hard. I didn't have the best utensil for lifting them from the whey, so some cooked longer than recommended.

image.jpg

The title explains what I did wrong. Thanks for the replies. I have a yellow hockey puck at this stage. Any chance age will turn this in to something??

Mozz is my next cheese. My first time was just ok. The second was easier and turned out great. I used the microwave to reheat it the second time and it was so much faster and easier!

Worked great this time. However I decided to soak some small balls in a Herbs de Provence olive oil that I had made. Tastes really good but it hardened the cheese. Is it the salt content that did this? There is one tea spoon of kosher salt in the cup of olive oil. I added about a half a tea spoon to the whey that I have the rest of the cheese stored in and it also hardened that cheese. Did the salt act as a brine as in other cheeses?

Back