do you HAVE to remove labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kernsie said:
I'm pretty sure they changed the glue. I use Amstel Light bottles ( i get them by the caseful from the pub up the street) & the last batch was tough to get the labels off....even with hot water.

They were even extremely sticky after I got the label off & soaked them.
I used steam this afternoon, from the teapot, and it definitely made the task easier. I'm also positive that this isn't a water based adhesive on the Heineken bottle labels. I had to resort to Goof Off™ to get the residue off. I still don't know if it's worth the effort, and I'll pass on these bottles again if I can be choosy about it, but since I did need a few more right now this worked.

I soak mine in some hot oxyclean for a couple of hours and the labels just slip right off with no effort. I use one of the foam/scrubbie deals real quick to get the residual glue off under running water.

Any bottle that i have trouble with the label not falling off I simply take a 1 '' putty knife to and scrape the label off. Works really well with wine bottles. I then wash off the glue with a scrubby. The only thing I hate are the few that use petroleum based labels but even those clean up with some goo gone or rubbing alcohol or acetone what ever is handy

Latest posts

Back