Mash tun or mash toon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpinetti

Reaction score
I've been watching some all grain YouTube videos lately and came across this being pronounced differently. So which is it?

Of all the words so easy to mispronounce in brewing (wort, kra(e)usen, vorlauf, etc.) it surprises me that tun is one of them, but it is. yes, tun rhymes with fun, and anyone else trying to say it differently is probably trying to be fancy when they shouldn't. like the french pronunciation of Target...

I've heard a lot of 'toons' in videos and perhaps that's how it's pronounced in other countries. I, however, don't live in other countries and for me, it rhymes with fun.

Check out "from grain to glass"'on YouTube. There are several others that are saying it like this too. Lol.

I've seen lots of videos where people mispronounce common brew terms. I don't understand why since the pronunciation of everything is listed in any book you read. I've heard wort as wart, trub as truhb, tun as toon, etc. You would think that people knowledgeable enough to post videos about brewing on YouTube would know how to pronounce brewing terms.

+1, Sailor.

tun-
"large cask," O.E. tunne, a general North Sea Gmc. word (cf. O.Fris. tunne, M.Du. tonne, O.H.G. tunna, Ger. tonne), also found in M.L. tunna (9c.) and O.Fr. tonne, perhaps from a Celtic source (cf. M.Ir., Gael. tunna, O.Ir. toun "hide, skin"). Tun-dish (late 14c.) was a funnel made to fit into the bung of a tun.

from http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=tun

Yeah, Sailor is right.

With so many brewing terms of art being German, I guess it's easy to assume that a German-looking word is German.

The "TOON" guys are those darn crazy Canadian Newfys! I'm sure in their brain, they are still saying "TUN" but the weather just distorts things.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Have alway heard my German speaking friends pronounce the word as "toon". will have to ask about that next time I see them.

If you speak English then the capital of France is pronounced Pariss, if you speak French then it's Paree.

Similarly English "tunn" and German "toon" and if you speak French it's probably pronounced "tuh".

IMHO there is no definitive pronunciation of any word consistent across different languages.

If you speak English then the capital of France is pronounced Pariss, if you speak French then it's Paree.

Similarly English "tunn" and German "toon" and if you speak French it's probably pronounced "tuh".

IMHO there is no definitive pronunciation of any word consistent across different languages.

Troo. Tis a dilemma within my own household. Malay speaking wife tends to go back to her Mother tounge phonetically.

Back