Reuse Stressed Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolman

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

first of all i realize that buying a new pack of notty will only cost me 2.75. So i am asking this in the quest for knowledge.

I just made a gallon of CDA and i pitched the notty yeast too high! 80 or something... it was just not a good move and have since learned from that and set out on getting a wort chiller before my next brew.

My question is do of yeast friends do the same as us and RDWHAHB or do they stay stressed? Or is i use that batch again and pitch at the right temp will they still have the fresh green apple thing going on or will it act like regular notty?

thanks in advanced

Hello Everyone,

first of all i realize that buying a new pack of notty will only cost me 2.75. So i am asking this in the quest for knowledge.

I just made a gallon of CDA and i pitched the notty yeast too high! 80 or something... it was just not a good move and have since learned from that and set out on getting a wort chiller before my next brew.

My question is do of yeast friends do the same as us and RDWHAHB or do they stay stressed? Or is i use that batch again and pitch at the right temp will they still have the fresh green apple thing going on or will it act like regular notty?

thanks in advanced

$2.75 - You are being ripped off. $1.25 from Rebel, $1.50 from a local supermarket with a small HB section.

Pitched at 80 F. The yeast will be fine. You will have just gotten more esters in the beer you pitched into, but the yeast should be fine for the next brew. I think the rehydration temperature is around 100 F.

Edit: Just checked Rebel. Seems they increased their price to $1.99.

There is only one LHBS in Winnipeg and we pay 13 for wyeast smack packs 8.50 2 oz of magnum hops 5.25 for 2nd of cascades. The whole place is expensive but... I'd like to support my local business's.

There is only one LHBS in Winnipeg and we pay 13 for wyeast smack packs 8.50 2 oz of magnum hops 5.25 for 2nd of cascades. The whole place is expensive but... I'd like to support my local business's.

I agree it's nice to have somewhere local to get supplies, but there is a limit as to what they can charge. Eventually the supply and demand rule will win. My LHBS is 15 miles away, perhaps if it were just a couple of miles I would think different.

I do buy some things from my LHBS. They probably get about 30% of my money. Most of it is on bulk LME (33 lbs for $60), and some adjunct grains that are cheaper than on-line.

I get hops from Hops direct (buy several lbs at a time), and it runs about $0.62 an ounce (including shipping). They have Magnum pellets for 11.50 a lb, and Cascade for $9.65. You might want to look into it. It is real nice not to have to worry about the cost of hops when you are doing a hop loaded ale.

I get other ingredients on-line. I like Rebel, but there are others. Wyeast or White Labs are 5.99 for most yeasts. Take a look. To me it sounds like they are taking advantage of the market rather than just making a little profit.

Anyone else out there pay $13 for a smack-pak?

Back