The Other way to carbonate...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunyJim

Reaction score
Read this one on the internet.
For those of us who don't have kegging equipment and CO2 tanks, but want to try Sprecher Root Beer Soda Syrup that doesn't work with Yeast and sugar, there is another way.
Mix your syrup and ingredients in a bottling bucket, or big coolerjug with a wide mouth. Then carefully drop in some dry ice. Instant carbonation!
From there either drink it all for a big family party, or I guess bottle it into pop bottles.
:ban:

Of course caution with the dry ice itself can cause some nasty frostbite, but the plan is that the container have the lid open while the dry ice is dropped in and carbonates, not to seal it in until it's done smoking.:cross:

Dry Ice has been discussed here. I believe the general consensus is it is highly impractical given the volume needed and the ability to source it and of course the potential dangers versus just buying a CO2 tank.

Dry Ice has been discussed here. I believe the general consensus is it is highly impractical given the volume needed and the ability to source it and of course the potential dangers versus just buying a CO2 tank.

I agree except for the sourcing part. I'm not sure about the rest of the US, but just about every grocery store around here sells it.

Actually if everyone is drinking it then and there, why not? It works for punch at kid's parties.

Back