Wine test for quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensmith

Reaction score
I Have decided the best way to determine the quality of a wine is with fruit flies. Leave a glass out and see how many fruit flies it drowns. My best wines drown flies by the fist full. I set out a store bought wine out all night and it did not get a single fly. I thought it was kinda low on taste!

I have two wine samples out right now, neither are as good as I wanted. The banana wine is not gathering many flies, but the ginger pear is. Neither is worth drinking yet. They will be bottled and forgoten for many many years and only drunk when I am desperate! My rasberry wine collets fruit flies as soon as I pull the cork. I have to keep a cloth over my glass between sips! (I have only dry wines)

Anyone else notice fruit flies and wine quality?

Interesting test. :)

I can say that my wines seem to attract more fruit flies if they are sweet or off dry. But I have not done any scientific studies!

Maybe aromatics make a difference?

Very interesting in deed...I always have flys around my wine...sometimes my breather vent is covered in them...but I never took that as a sign of good wine..I just figured...its fermenting fruit...fruit flies like it good or bad...but never set any out as a test to see if none showed up...

Not shure what fruit flies look for in a wine. Just that they have good taste in it:) I just found it interesting that they did not like the store bought stuff, while swarming my home made stuff. I had to agree with their assesment!
We "lost" a bowl of fruit in the kitchen, the fruit flies found it, so needless to say we have plenty of fruit flies to experament with!
If you have a glass full of wine then the flies are easy to fish out. But after they die and sink or you drink it down to the lower quarter they are hard to get! How much protein per fly is it? My freezer is getting down on meat, maybe I will start trapping fruit flies!!

Use wine with a dab of dish soap. The dish soap "glues" the wings so that they cannot fly off. Gently stir in the dish soap so as to not make any bubbles.

fruit.flies.jpg

Latest posts

Back