GD Primary Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NivekD

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch of Irish Stout yesterday and got it in the primary bucket. Set up the blow off tube and put it in the fermentation chamber (guest shower in the basement). Checked on it last night and no action. No worries, it'll get goin' soon.

Went to bed and checked this morning and still nothing. I could see that the tube had air in it below the water level of the water in my blow off tube so something was happening. I thought that I should have a lot more activity than I was seeing so I started to investigate. Started sniffing around the bucket and could smell beer. AH HA!...a leak. Turns out the lid was leaking and I pushed down on the perimeter of the lid and...viola...bubbles started coming out of the blow off tube. Very happy fermentation.

Been using this bucket for primary for about 26 years and never had a problem. Guess it's time to buy a Better Bottle. So I grabbed some clamps and now everything is good.

Stout.jpg

Even if the lid did allow co2 to escape around the seal there is nothing to worry about. The worst is that you did not see bubbles.

I have the same problem with one of my lids, doesn't send any bubbles through the airlock. But has not affected the beer at all. I wouldn't let it bother you.

Back