Goldings Cream Ale (with picture)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 60F
Tasting Notes
A good yellow fizzy beer with a touch of hop flavour
RECIPE:

Sorry for the metric measurements:

0,50 kg Grits (1,0 SRM) Adjunct 12,50 %
3,00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2,0 SRM) Grain 75,00 %
0,30 kg Rice, Flaked (1,0 SRM) Grain 7,50 %
0,20 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1,0 SRM) Sugar 5,00 %

25,00 gm Goldings, US [3,90 %] (60 min) Hops 15,3 IBU
10,00 gm Goldings, US [3,90 %] (30 min) Hops 3,1 IBU

1 Pkgs Safale American (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash @ 151F for 90 minutes. I don't do a cereal mash for the corn. You can do one if you want, but I have found it unecessary. I fined this beer and cold crashed @ the 14 days mark and bottled the day after @ 2.8 vol.

TASTING NOTES:

Aroma: Light grainy malt aroma with a touch of generic fruityness. Sweet corn is pretty evident, but not vegetal in character.

Appearance: Clear, pale straw color. Produces a very fluffy almost marshmallow head that dies down to a ring in a few minutes.

Taste: Grainy malt and biscuit with a smooth and inviting corn sweetness. A touch of the Goldings hops in the finish adds to the smooth and creamy nature of the beer. The sugar dries it down further. No fruityness to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Light without being watery. High carbonation.

General tasting notes: Generic in the sense that it doesn't have that big WOW factor because of the style, but it is suitable to drinking in quantity. I wouldn't have any qualms serving this to any BMC drinker since it will be familiar, but it does have a bit more "substance" to it: the head is better and the taste is not as corny. The goldings hops I feel make this beer stand out with their smooth, distinct, but subtle character. A welcomed departure from the usual Hallertau.

And last but not least, a picture of the beer:

35iyb9j.jpg

This recipe looks great. This weekend I'm going to brew a cream ale and I'm hoping for something that's more like a 'B' than 'MC'. Given that, would you still recommend I brew this 'as is' or should I up the amount of rice, perhaps swapping the rice and grits amounts? Also, should I bottle at my cold crash temp or should I bring it up to room temp, or does it not matter? Sorry for the noob question. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back